Moriah area question(s)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Howdy folks...haven't posted here in so very very long. Planning my first trip out since last fall, and it's looking like I'll be solo friday, and meeting up with some friends on sat. Right now planning on heading up carter-moriah trail from gorham up to the summit and then over the kenduskeag tr and down shelburne to the wild river campground. It appears there's some flat areas along the kenduskeag and the shelburne...can anyone give me any info on these trails?? Will I have difficulty finding a spot to set up my tent?? I assume I'll have no problems finding water this time of the year, but does anyone feel otherwise?? Any info is greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Captain Fantastic

The trail over Shelburne Moriah is much like the Mahoosucs - scrubby with mud between. I'm not sure how good the tent spots are unless you set up on a rock ledge :)

The trail down Wild River side is an old woods road once you drop off the ridge. There are certainly tent sites lower down in the birches, don't remember how steep it is up high.

The Shelburne Trail requires a ford of the Wild River unless you take the Highwater Trail to one of the bridges. Unless the water levels are very low, do not attempt this ford. Also note that Spider Bridge, over the Wild River a few miles in from Wild River Campground, is out, damaged in the recent rains and high water. You'll need to take the Moriah Brook Trail bridge, or the bridge way out at Rte 113 at the start of the Highwater Trail.

thanks

Thanks Michael for the info on spider bridge...I was actually planning on taking the highwater trail down to that bridge and taking black angel and basin trail to loop back to the campground...looks like I'll be re-thinking that section. Roy, can I assume rock ledges are a plenty in that area?