Secret Places in the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbinghaus

Reaction score
Here is a pix from last weekend (May 21st). Don't know if everything will show up on this reduced photo but what you are looking at is a large "cavern" formed by a shelf of rock on top that projects out about 20-25 feet. The cave part is at the top of a steep slide. We didn't try to climb in it as it was all wet and slidey and by this point in the hike we had had enough of wet and slidey things.

Take a look at the birches above and the people below to get a sense of the scale of this thing. Finding this was the high point in a very nice day's walk filled with pleasant highpoints.

Apparently we almost tried to go straight down from on top -- but didn't. But from the top the cavern part was impossible to see. (Well, no one thought to crawl forward on their stomach to look straight down. So maybe we could have seen it if we had really tried.) We did find a way down to the left of it, though after we reached bottom we realized that an equally good (uh, well, bad) way down would have been to the immediate right of this.

Name the mountain for fame and glory. If you like I'll send you the 12 mbyte version. (I blacked out the person in the front for privacy reasons. I am hoping that the two in the back are too small to be identified.)

Cheers,

Nifty shot. That's one of the cool things about getting off the beaten path, you'll never know what you'll find. Looks intriquing to me, but I wouldn't dream of imposing on you to ask where is was (no matter how much I want to :D).

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Ebbinghaus,

You've really peaked my curiosity. Is this a slide on one of the High Peaks? Any hints? Elevation of the cave? Which direction was the photographer facing when the photo was taken?

No snow and the birches make me think that this is on a lower peak. My first guess is Lower Wolfjaw. After that, I would guess Nye or Blake because they are lower peaks and I have never been on those slides.

John

Secret Revealed

Pix taken on the way down from Little Santanoni heading down towards Ermine Brook. From the summit we headed pretty much SW. Ran into this sweet thing. I would guess that we were half-way down at this point.

I think this is one of those things that is easier to find going downhill than up. As far as we could determine, there was no herd path up this mountain. Near the summit it was obviously trampled down a bit, but no clear sign of a trail either ascending or descending.

Very cool, thanks. Little Santanoni is planned for later this summer and that was pretty much the line we thinking of heading up. Perhaps we'll come across it. Again thanks for sharing.

Ditto what Mavs said. Although not on my list anytime soon, I will certainly make a note that such a feature exists on Little Santanoni and make it a point to find it if I ever do hike the peak. Thanks.

John