Best bang for the buck!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Without much time to take a long drive up toward Maine, AMSTony and I decided to do something local: the famed Welch-Dickey loop. What a luxury to wake up at a reasonable hour, meet at a reasonable hour, spend a reasonable three hours on a hike -- and be home at a reasonable hour! :D

We hit the trailhead at 9:40 a.m. and opted to take the recommended counter-clockwise route that takes you first over Welch Mountain. It's a nice walk in the woods for the very first part of the hike, a few roots, rocks and such, but nothing arduous.

It doesn't take long to break out above treeline -- maybe 30 minutes, though it took us about 45 minutes because my office called soon after we took off. (Please don't flame me ... a cell phone is the only way I'm able to get out and hike, and still hold my job!) :eek:

I was blown away at the views and the terrain you get on this hike in relatively short time. We had perfect views of the Tripyramids, and the farther along we hiked, the farther we could see -- toward Franconia Notch, Cannon, the outline of the Cannon Balls, and the Kinsmans.

At the very first opening, I spied the top of Dickey and saw those smooth, nearly vertical ledges, and thought, yikes -- that's enough to give ya vertigo. But we kept plugging along, and as I suspected, the trail takes you up a reasonable route to the summits.

There were tons of ripe blueberries along the way. I was amazed at the evidence of the once-great ice age, the whirlpool divots in the rock where water collects, the striations throughout the rock, the ribbons of granite.

Given the proximity to Boston and the ease of this hike, I was surprised not to see as many people out as we did. We spotted maybe a dozen, until the very lower section below Dickey, where we passed by a group of about 15 young kids who looked to be from a church group.

This is a fabulous hike to introduce someone new to the mountains, or for just a quick-hit trip to the mountains.

This is now easily my absolute favorite hike. I hope to visit here many times. It may not be on any "official" lists, but it's now at the top of my list of fabuloso hikes.

You can see pix at: Alpinista's Webshots

Last edited:
Nice trip report. I am a huge Welch/Dickey fan as well. I just can't get enough of that trail. Try hitting it in the fall; even more beautiful.
:)

After a late night and early wakeup, and a little too much partying last night...... :p I was more than ready to do a simpler hike and have nice short drive with Alpinista. Plus I need to be home early to take my mother in law out for birthday- no room for error there! :eek:

Yes, this was definitely a great hike :D .....lots of bang for the buck on this loop. The skies were clear, some haze, but it seemed to burn off as we went along. The views towards the Tripyramids, West and East Sleeper along the ledges on the Welch Mtn Trail Welch's summit were awesome. It gave me a totally different perspective of last weeks Tr's/E. Sleeper hike I did, to include the S. Slide.

Definitely The views into Franconia Notch from the Summit of Dickey can not be beat. I finally got a picture of all those peaks climbed into one shot, to include the Kinsmans and the Cannonballs. There were a good number of people on the trails, but less than I anticipated for such a beautful day. But the cars were into the overflow lot when we got back down at 12:35. So perhaps most were going up the Welch Mt. trail first?

Then it was off to Plymouth where we had a relaxing lunch at the "Lucky Dog". :) All told it was 2 hours and 55 minutes on the trail, 4.5 miles, and 1,860 feet elevation gain. Just a real nice day!!!!!

love the trip report and great photos!! thanks for posting them. :)

Welch-Dickey's a gem, and the weather today was beyond reproach - a perfect day to be out!

When you have more time, the summit of Welch has a great spot off to the side for a nap. :)

Welch and Dickey is a nice one. Great beginners hike.

Heading out on the slabs north of Dickey is also a nice sidetrip. It may take a bit of routefinding, but you can do it entirely on bare rock.

Doug

Last edited: