info on buell and panther-central adks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byates1

Reaction score
hello all, i'm looking to glean some more info from the two gents who recently ventured up 2 peaks behind snowy mt in the central adirondacks(their post is on n.y. trail conditions forums). i have an interest in accessing the area in winter looking for some good open hardwood glades to ski. any info would be appreciated. fall is right around the corner, i can't wait till it starts cooling off!

I am not Peteflyguy or OneArmedBandit but I would like to remind you that any approach to these peaks other than from the West would traverese private property and would be illegal unless you gpt prior permission from the land owner.

I do know some that have climbed it and have some route info, but I will not post it here. I actually pllan on climbing these peaks in the next year or two.

i'm aware of the property boundaries as well, been travelling those parts for quite some time now. thanks for reminding me.

:) Actually the reminder was "general" (meaning for the rest of the world) not so much just for you :). Not meant as an insult. The group I knew had pemission to head in through the hunt club. I, so far, have not been so lucky, so I'll probably be heading in from the west, via the col from unnammed BP.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm told that the those peaks are pretty consistant with all the others in that area. Pretty much open hardwoods most of the way with some "reasonable" mixed stuff up high. :D.

Last edited:
Hey byates1, I can give you some scoops, and would be more than happy to post them here. You're looking for the legendary Buell fern slopes. Not quite open hardwoods ... better! And they are on the legal western slopes so you can ski to your heart's desire. And, since the road is closed in to the dam, you'll most likely have them all to yourself. Just ski the Cedar Flow south for a mile or so to bypass the small ridge (running North South) just west of the main ridge, then ski over to and up Buell Brook for a couple of miles until you make it to the western sloping ridge off Buell. You are now on the cusp of the Buell-Panther cirque. You will find what you are seeking on those slopes. You can patch together the fern slopes and lower slopes to create runs of 1000' to 1500' vert. Should be worth the effort of getting back in there! Rip it up!

thanks alot guys, i appreciate the info and would be interested in getting back up there via the legal route to inspect the terrain myself. having a few more places to ski in the centrals would be nice. i am planning(conditions dependant) on skiing the np trail this winter(late feb) and making some ski descents along the way.(there is an older slide on the backside of cellar i've seen form the top of blue ridge) we'll see, we need a big winter , we're due. if not, it's strait to utah!!