Wild Things EP Half Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Has anyone here used the Wild Things EP Half Bag? Last winter I started carrying a lighter sleeping bag and just sleeping in my down jkt and pants which works nicely and decreases weight (not to mention forgoing the cost of a winter bag). Anyone have any thoughts?

light bag in winter

That sounds like an interesting idea - but I have to ask - how cold did you go with that set up? I have been dressed up pretty heavily in a 20 degree bag and froze - and I am normally a warm sleepper...

sapblatt said:
That sounds like an interesting idea - but I have to ask - how cold did you go with that set up? I have been dressed up pretty heavily in a 20 degree bag and froze - and I am normally a warm sleepper...

I remember my buddies little keychain thermometer reading that it was just below 0 degrees (granted who knows how accurate that is). I was fine all night but before I went to sleep I dug out a small platform for my tent with all my down stuff on(nice way to work up a sweat), pitched my tent then hopped in the sleeping bag before the heat could escape. Note I was also wearing all of my regular clothing from the day as long as it did not get wet. I also try to drink a Nalgene of hot green tea and have a few Snickers bars before I turn in (I then pray that I will not have to take a leak in the middle of the night)

I have a pair of down pants that zip into an elephant's foot (basically a half bag) and have used this set up for bivvy a few times.

Even with an expedition down parka, I am not as warm as when using my winter bag. I find it harder to retain heat, and then there's the problem of hands and face.

For deep winter condx (10 deg and below), I opt for a full-size bag for comfort.

cb

half bag

I too have been using my insulated clothing inside my 20 degree bag down to a little below zero without problems. I am using Integal Design Primaloft coat with a hood and pants. I also have a light Event bag cover and a MSR Townpeaks no floor tent. Seems fine-I check the forecast before I leave.
The half bag seems more like an emergency piece to me. I would like to get one to carry on day hikes in case I break my leg or something and can't move. Now I carry the primaloft stuff and the bag cover and some primaloft socks.

HAMTERO said:
The half bag seems more like an emergency piece to me. I would like to get one to carry on day hikes in case I break my leg or something and can't move. Now I carry the primaloft stuff and the bag cover and some primaloft socks.

I agree. After more careful inspection of pictures it does not appear that this bag comes up very high on the user. Also considering that it does not use a hood, I cannot see how it would hold the heat in very well.

I think half-bags find utility for summer climbing in high alpine settings.

For example, I have seen them used in the Alps on mountaineering routes where a bivvy is required or expected.

Although, the advent of ultra-light full bags, such as the Mountain Hardware Phantom 45 (45 deg & 16 oz) or Marmot Atom (40 deg, 16 oz) might negate the usefulness of a half a bag.

cb

Last edited: