Franconia Ridge Trail -Lafayette to Liberty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Trails: Old Bridal Path to Franconia Ridge Trail to Liberty Spring Trail to Pemi Trail
5/14/08

Trail Conditions: Old Bridal Path is amazing - no snow to worry about all the way to the summit of Lafayette. Franconia Ridge Trail from Lafayette to Little Haystack was bare as well. We decided to continue on to Mt. Liberty and descend on the Liberty Spring Trail (partly to avoid the now infamous Falling Waters trail which other hikers said was still in pretty bad shape and partly because the weather was AMAZING). I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THE SAME. As soon as you pass Little Haystack you run in to waist deep snow which lasts all the way to Mt. Liberty and at least a mile down the Liberty Spring trail. It is packed pretty firmly in most places but we were postholing every couple minutes. We then took the Pemi Trail back to the Lafayette parking area.

Special Equipment: Barebooted, but snowshoes would have been nice for the ridge between Little Haystack and Liberty.

Comments: Weather was absolutely amazing. That's the first time I've ever been to the top of Lafayette without a dense fog around me. Also, we walked by the Basin on the way back - if you've never seen it you really should take five minutes to stop and have a look at it (worth it despite the touristy feel).