Looking like another wet one on Monday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Given the minimal snow pack in my area, the current forecast for Monday looks like we might be back to stick season next week. Back when I was working on my winter 4K list, we had a similar warm early winters. I remember I had several harder to get 4Ks to fill out the list and when we saw the forecast, we had quite a few more challenging hikes planned. One year on the Dec 22nd we dropped off a car the night before at Crawford Notch and the next AM barebooted to summit of Mt Washington then headed south and grabbed Monroe, Eisenhower and Pierce before heading down Crawford path. I think we also did Bondcliff as an almost bareboot only needing crampons at treeline. One year the weather extended into New Year's and we drove up Jefferson Notch road (pre gates) and parked at Caps Ridge on January second to grab Jefferson.

I guess I am out of the loop these days on the interest in the Winter 4K list as 52 with a View seems to be the "thing" these days. Are folks working on winter variations of the 52 or the 52 grid version yet?

One model I saw has 3.5 to 4 inches of rain centered on Mt Washington, that is lot of rain combined with what little snow pack there is to fall on frozen ground. My guess is there is going to be damage to FS roads and expect the gravel bank near washout on Lincoln Woods trail will get much narrower.

Given the minimal snow pack in my area, the current forecast for Monday looks like we might be back to stick season next week. Back when I was working on my winter 4K list, we had a similar warm early winters. I remember I had several harder to get 4Ks to fill out the list and when we saw the forecast, we had quite a few more challenging hikes planned. One year on the Dec 22nd we dropped off a car the night before at Crawford Notch and the next AM barebooted to summit of Mt Washington then headed south and grabbed Monroe, Eisenhower and Pierce before heading down Crawford path. I think we also did Bondcliff as an almost bareboot only needing crampons at treeline. One year the weather extended into New Year's and we drove up Jefferson Notch road (pre gates) and parked at Caps Ridge on January second to grab Jefferson.

I guess I am out of the loop these days on the interest in the Winter 4K list as 52 with a View seems to be the "thing" these days. Are folks working on winter variations of the 52 or the 52 grid version yet?

One model I saw has 3.5 to 4 inches of rain centered on Mt Washington, that is lot of rain combined with what little snow pack there is to fall on frozen ground. My guess is there is going to be damage to FS roads and expect the gravel bank near washout on Lincoln Woods trail will get much narrower.
Long range forecasts are predicting winter for January and February then warming for March.
All agree warm through the new year.

Are folks working on winter variations of the 52 or the 52 grid version yet?
Two people (that I know of) have done a single season winter 52WAV and one of those has also gridded the 52WAV.

Like the 4Ks, some of the 52 become significantly longer in winter due to road closures.