Shaw via new route 8/16/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
The Bridle Path was recently completed to extend from Shannon Pond (on the Castle grounds) to the middle of Oak Ridge Cutoff Trail. It has a couple of nice outlooks along the way and is more like a hiking trail than carriage road. The lower section between Shannon Pond and Faraway Mt Trail has been in use for a bit longer and has signs at junctions. It starts out on an old road then is routed into the woods for a bit before following an old bridle path for a good distance along the ridge called Oak Ridge. The lower half cuts across Oak Ridge Trail and by taking that trail S for ¼ mile you can take in a nice view. After crossing Oak Ridge Trail another short side path leads you to a cliff view.

Upon meeting the Faraway Mt Trail it joins it WNW for a short distance and then the Bridle Path leaves right on an old bridle route up to another nice view point. From there it looks to be all new trail until it meets the Oak Ridge Cutoff trail. There are no signs at these junctions but orange flagging and new green blazes, as well as a well cleared trail make it easy to follow.

From there I continued on to Shaw via the Oak Ridge Cutoff and High Ridge trails. The peacefulness was only interrupted by a few rumbles of thunder in the distance. A mix of sunshine and dark clouds made the immensity of the huge old trees capture your eye. I startled a large animal but never saw it. The lush forest held mushrooms, flowers and berries. The blackberries are still green, and the purple flowering raspberry is in bloom, but the red and black raspberries disappeared quickly. Yum.

An interesting purple mushroom

Looks like a parasol

Disappearing black raspberry

Turtlehead

I had the summit of Shaw to myself then made my descent down the Turtleback Mt Trail hoping to enjoy the summit of Turtleback for a second break. Yet as I circled toward the top the noise of a large group vanquished that idea so that I didn’t even go out on the summit but returned to the trail for a jog the rest of the way down. Up until then I had been a walking spider web so I did appreciate that the group had cleared that route for me. I also decided against a bushwhack down to Bald Knob and out the Bald Knob Cutoff Trail as the storm threat was increasing. Turtleback Mt Trail is actually quite nice for trail running. I think I have now completed all of the trails on the Trust property (along with most off the property but within the Range). I also added a bit more exploring into the history of the early settlers before Plant’s acquisition.
(previously posted elsewhere http://www.rocksontop.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=43444&highlight=#43444)

This is the well hole on the Witham homestead site

As I neared the end the winds were picking up and the pelting sounded like buckets full being dumped (not of hail but of acorns!) I undid my waist strap to be ready to put my pack over my head for protection. Once out by the open pond and lawn the wind and dark clouds gave you feeling of frailty but was exhilarating at the same time. Lightning flashed. As I dumped my shoes out at the car the rain started and I drove away in a downpour.