Taconic Crest Trail ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hi,

I am interested in all of the long trails of New England, even the shorter ones. I set foot on the Taconic Crest Trail yesterday, and I wondered if anyone around has found the time to hike the whole thing. It's status as a New England long trail might be somewhat controversial, as a fair portion of it's 35 miles are in New York State. Still, it seemed like a nice ridge top trail.
I found a couple of informative links:

Paper about TCT
Photo album of TCT hike

I've hiked pieces of it many times. A favorite are the hikes out or Petersburg Pass. South takes you to open-topped Berlin Mt. North to snow hole, and beyond to its northern terminus, in North Pownal, VT. Its mostly rolling, open, hardwoods, up and down, up and down.
The Taconic Hiking Club periodically did a one day, Taconic Crest Trail end-to-end hike. It hadn't been run in many years, and in the early 80's, the Albany ADK Outings Committee asked the THC if they would consider starting it up again with ADK as the co-sponsor. Its 29 miles and about 8,000' of ascent, a a little more descent. I've done it a number of times, starts in the Pittsfield State Forest at 5am, and ends whenever you walk out of the woods in VT. It used to be a hike, and has unfortunately evolved into a competitive trail run/hike.

Peakbagr said:
I've hiked pieces of it many times. A favorite are the hikes out or Petersburg Pass. South takes you to open-topped Berlin Mt. North to snow hole, and beyond to its northern terminus, in North Pownal, VT. Its mostly rolling, open, hardwoods, up and down, up and down.
The Taconic Hiking Club periodically did a one day, Taconic Crest Trail end-to-end hike. It hadn't been run in many years, and in the early 80's, the Albany ADK Outings Committee asked the THC if they would consider starting it up again with ADK as the co-sponsor. Its 29 miles and about 8,000' of ascent, a a little more descent. I've done it a number of times, starts in the Pittsfield State Forest at 5am, and ends whenever you walk out of the woods in VT. It used to be a hike, and has unfortunately evolved into a competitive trail run/hike.
I did it last year and while there were runners on the trail, there were also hikers like myself. They run it every two years, charging $25 to cover cost of support (breakfast before hike, three water/snack stops enroute). Field was limited to 25. Very enjoyable time, though at the end I did get off the trail once and went a half mile (Downhill! Argh!) and had to backtrack.

I was the co-director and participant in 5 TCT End-to-Ends when its only purpose was a hike. In every place I saw the event spoken or written about last year, it was described as a trail run. Whatever the number of runners, thats one less place for any hiker who may have been shut out. I have no problem with trail running or races, but the End-To-End was conceived of as a hike, and done that way for many years, including when we convinced the Taconic Hiking Club to bring it back. My preference would be to have a 2nd event, solely for runners.

Dugan said:
Anyone want to think of a VFTT end to end hike?
I would want to think of it. One day or two? There is a completion patch, you know.

askus3 said:
Maybe we can talk Jay H into doing it next year as our annual fund raiser for the Brain Tumor Society!

I'm going to lobby for the Long Path from Peekamoose Road to Woodland Valley for next years TBTS hike, assuming there's a halfway safe way to cross the Neversink by then.

Anyhow, back on topic, I noticed a map for the TCT when I was at a bookstore in Albany recently and it raised an eyebrow since I had never heard of it. Sounds like something my Dad my be up for. He doesn't hike much these days, but wants to get out for some easy stuff and he lives in Troy.

Matt

I hiked it last year too, it's a really cool hike, especially with the weather we had that day. I thought the organization of it was superb, and the bagpiper at 5am to wake you up was quite a nice touch! As to the (very few) trailrunners - hey, it's just hiking at a faster pace. To each his own.

Dugan said:
I'd prefer a one day hike. I'd first want to learn more about the trail.
My sources say it's about 35 miles, 6700 feet gained, a ridge walk, and occasionally shared with ATVers, legal or not.

35 miles is at least 10 over my daily limit, so you all have fun!

teleskier said:
I hiked it last year too, it's a really cool hike, especially with the weather we had that day. I thought the organization of it was superb, and the bagpiper at 5am to wake you up was quite a nice touch! As to the (very few) trailrunners - hey, it's just hiking at a faster pace. To each his own.
I don't remember a lot of trail runners, either, though there were a couple. I forget thier times, but it boggled my mind. But it seemed to me that hikers predominated. And yeah, the bagpipes were cool.

For most of its history, it was 29 miles and a little under 8,000' ascent. Because of difficulties with the northern terminus, the trail had to be relocated a slightly bit further north, but I understand that added less than a mile to its length and virtually nothing to the elevation change.
I could go to my journal and look at the exact elevation differences, but we measured the contours, mile by mile one time.

Trail seems longer

Hi Peakbagr, I realize you are the authority on this trail but I'm confused when you say it is about 30 miles long. Doesn't it start in North Pownal, Vt., and end at Brace Mt.? That would seem longer than 30 miles. Mapquest says it is 51 miles from Copake Falls, NY, to Petersburg, NY, on Route 22. The trail extends for a few miles further from both these towns.
What gives? Do I have wrong information or is the part in So. Mass. and CT the South Taconic Trail?

I believe they are two different trails. The NYNJTC map shows the South Taconic Trail starting below Brace and ending at MA 23 after the Catamount Ski Area. It’s a very nice trail, by the way. I hiked it north to Bashbish Falls last Sunday with side trips to Frissell and Alander. Lots of ridge walking with great views.

Thanks for the compliment, but there are many who know the TCT better than me. Its just that parts of its are short jaunt away for nice 1/2 day hikes.

The Taconic Crest Trail we've been speaking about has one end at Berry Pond in the Pittsfield State Forest and the other in N. Pownal, VT, with it winding thru MA, NY and VT at different times.

jjmcgo said:
or is the part in So. Mass. and CT the South Taconic Trail?
Your last statement is correct. The 15.6 mile South Taconic Trail is south of MA/NY Route 23. It is not contiguous to the Taconic Crest Trail which is north or US Route 20. There is also the 22 mile Taconic Skyline Trail which is also north of Route 20 and runs somewhat parallel to and east of the Taconic Crest Trail. All three are mentioned "Paper about TCT" posted by Tramper Al in the first post. They also described in the AMC Massachusetts and Rhode Island Trail Guide.

Mark Schaefer said:
The 15.6 mile South Taconic Trail is south of MA/NY Route 23. There is also the 22 mile Taconic Skyline Trail which is also north of Route 20 and runs somewhat parallel to and east of the Taconic Crest Trail. They also described in the AMC Massachusetts and Rhode Island Trail Guide.
Yes, I think Mark's got it right about these three "Taconic" Trails. I have hiked briefly on the South Taconic Trail as well, in fact while accessing the CT-MA-NY tri-state marker. While all three of these trails are described in the new (red) AMC Massachusetts Guide, the Taconic Skyline Trail is definitely downplayed as a mainly ATV route, largely replaced, for hikers anyway, by the Taconic Crest Trail. The old (green) AMC MA & RI Guide is also interesting in that all 3 trails are shown on the full state map, on the reverse of the Greylock map, and this gives you a good idea of where they run.

Where to buy a Taconic Crest Trail map?

My buddy and I have been hiking a few 30ish mile dayhikes this spring in preparation for a longer hike we would like to do in August or September. In researching opportunities for nice 30 - 40 mile dayhikes I came across the Taconic Crest Trail, which as mentioned above, goes from Williamstown, MA to Pittsfield, MA. The trail looks very beautiful, and is a nice fit for a good training hike with 8000' of elevation gain along it's course.

My question is, where would I buy a map of this trail? I have the South Taconic Crest Trail Map from the NYNJTC, however, I am unable to locate a map of the Taconic Crest Trail. If someone happens to have a phone number, address, or website that I could contact for a map I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

I've hiked a few miles out and back on either side of route 2.

Anyone want to think of a VFTT end to end hike?

I'd be interested if this turned into a one day end to end.:)

<edit>
Just realized this is a four year old thread!!! Did I miss the VFTT one day traverse of the Taconic Crest Trail or what ???

Last edited: