Adams Slide & Northern Presies 08/07/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Fun with slides continues...

A few people commented about wanting to see Adams Slide in NH_Mtn_Hiker's recent thread of our Arrow Slide trip. Here goes:

Sunday, August 7, 2005
Meet at Great Gulf parking area at 8:00am
Great Gulf to Six Husbands to Adams Slide to Mt. Adams summit.
Israel Ridge to Gulfside to Jefferson Loop to Mt. Jefferson.
Jefferson Loop to Gulfside to Madison Hut to Osgood to Great Gulf and back to parking area.
16.4 miles, 5800' elevation gain.

NH_Mtn_Hiker to lead bushwhack

Depending on your experience and fitness level, this may be a difficult hike as it stands. If we make decent speed through the bushwhack and slide there's a good chance of the hike being altered to become longer and more challenging (still trying to talk NH into Monroe via Adams Slide :eek: )

I propose that, if others are interested, this is handled not as a group hike, but as individuals getting together. In other words, barring injury, each will be responsible for their own welfare. If someone wants to come along for the slide portion, then split off afterwards, that's fine.

I'll add that the bushwhack Dugan mentioned refers to the lower portion of the abandoned Adams Slide Trail where it intersects the Buttress Trail. Roughly a mile or so of the trail at the bottom is overgrown. I don't expect it to be a particularly difficult bushwhack though, just steep.

From 1955 AMC White Mountain Guide
"...the Adams Slide Trail is referred to as the steepest path of it's length in the white Mountains. In 1 1/4 miles it rises 2,308 ft."

still trying to talk NH into Monroe via Adams Slide
I thought that was a joke. :eek: I guess I need to recalculate the milage and elevation gain. :)

Edit: Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Washington, Monroe via Great Gulf and Adams Slide; approx. 22 miles, 7500' elevation gain.

:D

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing this Saturday, actually. Might not happen -- good luck to you either way.

Thunder Dan said:
Is the Great Gulf Parking lot require a WMNF parking pass?

Yes.

I'm the fellow you met at the junction of Great Gulf and Six Husbands. I'd been looking for your post under 'Trail Conditions' and just found your trip report. 'Thunder Dan' wasn't the only one to descend Six Husbands that day. I met one fellow with a large pack descending just as I reached the point where the trail heads up the rocks. Then, later, as I headed back down the Great Gulf, I was overtaken by three fellows who had gone up Huntington and descended Six Husbands. So that's at least five in one day who descended a trail in disregard of the 'official' advice.
As I headed up Six Husbands, nearing the Knee, I think I could hear your conversation on the Adams Slide, below me, though I couldn't make out anything that you were saying.
We narrowly missed each other at the top. I left Madison Springs for the Buttress around 2:45.