11.19.2011 West Royce via Laughing Lion to Basin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyohill

Reaction score

Trail Conditions: Spotted my car at Cold River CG parking lot and got a lift from a friend up to Laughing Lion trailhead. LL was in good shape though several blowdowns and one significant washout that took a little time to navigate. Royce & Royce Connector over to summit of West Royce again were in excellent shape. There was a dusting of snow most of the way but no need for the microspikes. Basin Rim trail was more of the same: light dusting with little ice made for a quick spurt to Rim Junction. One big blowdown 1/4 mile below summit and a lack of blazes in spots were a small concern. From Rim Juction, Basin trail was fine but 8"-10" of dry leaves packed up against the cliffs made a looong slippery knee busting hike down below the cliffs. After that it was smooth sailing back to Basin Reservoir and parking.

Special Equipment Required: I brought the micro spikes but didn't need them. A rake or leaf blower would have been helpful on Basin Trail (just kidding, no really!)

Comments: I was on this hike to scope a trail adopter opportunity (Basin Rim trail: West Royce to Rim Junction) and must say that though this trail needs an adopter it is in really good shape. The biggest concern being the very few blazes for middle two thirds of the trail.

David Hill

daveyohillatgmaildotyouknow