1st Winter b-pack suggestions.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekkin

Reaction score
Hey all. Been a member here for a few years, but forgot my ancient user name and login, so here's my new identity. :)

G-friend, myself, and a coworker (who's an experienced Winter camper) are headed to the Whites for the long weekend for a winter backpack. This is new ground for me and the SO, although we're accomplished and experienced during the other 3 seasons.

We'd tentatively planned on summitting Mt. Pierce via the Crawford Path, but the el gain (2400' over 3.4 miles) has a member or two of our party second guessing their off season conditioning, and I wanted to tap the collective expertise here to see what kinda suggestions you guys'd have.

We're all vista hungry, and would LOVE a site where there's some good solitude and nice views, hopefully w/o 1k per mile elevation gains during our trek in. While not averse to climbing or long days, seeing how this is new territory for a few members we were hoping to get some of the percs of being out without being 10 miles in or 3k up. I was pondering Chocura (love the views from the cabin) but didn't know how filled the cabin might be over a long weekend....so again, I thought I'd ask.

Any suggestions are welcome, I'd like to thank ya all in advance, and look forward to being a regular, contributing member here. My last post coincided with a weeklong April trip where my car got broken into while in the Whites, so I'm looking forward to washing the sour taste out of my mouth with a nice weekend away in one of my fave places.

Trekker

I'm assuming from your post,that this would be camping overnight during the trip. One factor to consider will be pack weight,so going easy the first time out is a wise decision.
Crawford Path to Naumann Tentsite at Mizpah Hut would be a relatively easy (1900' gain-2.6 miles) and would make a good base to hike from. Jackson,Pierce,and Eisenhower would be good hikes from this point.
Another possibility would be the Osgood platforms. You can do a hike over to The Bluff,or continue up Osgood to Madison-however this can be a really tough slog,depending on conditions.
Whatever you choose,don't try too much on the first time out. Winter backpacking and camping takes more time and energy than you might think.
Enjoy!

Hey Dan - thanks much for the reply and advice. Looks as though we've decided on Mt. Chocorua, as I've done it 2x before in Summer, and am a bit more comfortable knowing we'll have access to a cabin for accomodations. Think we're meeting up w/a member here (BrentD22) for the night, if not the hike as well.

Should be a good time, and hopefully this will spark a string of Winter camping for me, as taking off 4-5 mos./year breaks my heart every Fall, and I tend to get bad cabin fever till my first Springtime trip. Advice appreciated, again.

Have not done either in winter with a full pack, have done Pierce twice in winter (well my winter day pack is over 30 pounds but it's not the same as winter backpacking) & aa few other times too.

IMO getting up to Nauman via the C-Path & Mizpah cut-off may be easier than Chocorua.

I've seen people camp near Lonesome Lake Hut Before too (when it was closed) may be some options over in that area too, Kinsman Pond perhaps

Thanks to Mike for the feedback as well. Called the Saco station and it turns out they've been fielding calls somewhat regularly about access to Liberty cabin. This has me somewhat worried about space, as we're coming up from CT and are anticipating not getting on the trail till 10'ish on Saturday. (have to rent some gear from IME first)

So it looks as though we're going up Pierce via the Crawford Path. I'm a bit more excited for this itinerary, as the peak is new to me, and I think the views are a bit more in line with expectations for a Winter trip. We may tent at the summit, but are planning on playing that aspect by ear. If legs feel strong, weather forecasts good, that'll be what we opt for. If not, we'll set up camp at the Naumann site and bag Pierce and Eisenhower from there.

Everyone's time is much appreciated - nice site! If anyone has any other ideas (or concerns, which are welcome also) please post 'em, and thx again, muchly. :)

Trekkin

A friend has told me of aplace near/on the Pierce summit for camping that is somewhat protected but for a first winter Backpack the conditions you may encounter above/at treeline I would think may have your first trip be a baptism of ice (fire) where as Nauman would be more enjoyable.

Sure your friend know about the two feet or more rule for above treeline camping.