2-day Presi traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rook

Reaction score
advice on 2-day Presi traverse?

Hullo--

I'm thinking of taking a group to do the Presidential traverse this weekend, but in two days rather than one. I've done 25/48 so far this summer, but I haven't done any of the Presis in a couple years. So... any advice?

I'm figuring to do north-->south, with either 2 cars or 1 and taking the morning shuttle though I've never dealt with the bus before.

What's your collective opinion on "the best" route up Madison?

From there I guess I'd take the standard AT route, with all the loops over summits until Mizpah, and then Webster Cliff over Jackson and northwards to Saco Lake and the highway.

Where'd be a good place to camp? I'd prefer not to pay to camp, so I guess we'd be ducking down below treeline and pitching tents off-trail. My current plan is to leave the AT at Lake of the Clouds, head down Dry River Trail and camp somewhere. Is Shelter #3 still there? Are any of the shelters and such free now that it's past Labor Day?

Oh, and is it worth detouring to summit Isolation on this trip (as it was to do Owl's Head during my Pemi loop, whence I met SherpaK), or should that be saved for a separate trip?

Thanks.

PS Frances and associated t-storms should be gone by Saturday, right? Forecast calls for scattered showers...

-rook-
==============
caffeine gives me faith

Last edited:
That's a nice walk, I'll be doing it in early October. Here's a couple ideas:

Easiest way up Madisos is Valley Way IMO. If you're coming up from Pinkham, there are no "easy" routes. Standard is Osgood. Just a longer walk from Pinkham and the shoulder above treeline can be harsh in high winds, even below the cutoff. The alt is Madison Gulf which has some difficult crossings and the headwall is hard w/a heavy pack.

Dry River is a long way off the path. Maybe you could do Madison > Adams and down Israel Ridge or Lowes to the Perch (or include Jefferson on day 1 too before heading to the Perch). Dry River #3 was there last time I was a couple years ago.

I usually skip Washington (I know, not a true Presi traverse) cause it's so crowded that time of year. I've been up there enough to not feel like I missed something.

I've never taken the bus, is that the last weekend that it runs? Another option if one car's a Pinkham, is stay a second night at the tent sites at Mizpah and hike back across Crawford and down TR. W/o hitting the peaks, it's actually a pretty fast walk.

EDIT: Oh yea, remnants of Ivan possibly this weekend. Probably humid/drizzly/foggy.

Going down the Dry River trail to camp would end up being a very long day, not one that seems to me like your best option. Consider that if you use the shuttle (which ends Columbus Day weekend I believe) that you'll be getting a late start. I don't think you'd make the Dry River in daylight. DR #3 is still there, no fee is ever charged at that shelter. With a full pack, the rock up there is very tough on your feet and legs. Don't plan days that are too long, it's easy to get caught out.

My choice would be either the Perch (shelter and tent platforms $5/night) or camping down off the Jewel trail, just below treeline. For the latter, you'll have to fill up water at Greenough Spring on the side of Clay before dropping down. There's no easy water supply near treeline on the Jewel trail.

Isolation is way out of your way. While possible, I don't see how you could easily work this into your trip without some serious extra hiking.

As Bushwacked said, the standard route for starting a traverse is up Valley Way. You can take the upper part of the Watson Path so you don't end up backtracking up and down Madison, but it's a rougher trail and won't save you any time. If the morning is perfect you might want to go up Airline for the views, then cut over to the hut and up Madison.

-dave-

How long has the traverse actually taken you? Someone I know is claiming 11 hours, including breaks, which seems somewhat fishy. If I could get away with doing it in one day I would, but with a book time of 16 hours and 12 hours of daylight with no moon...

I've done it in 12-13 hours, without doing Jackson, but I'm not a particularly fast hiker. I've had friends do it in 8 by running a lot, but they are marathoners.

Lots of people do a one day traverse, but it's harder to do in October without as much light. If you are willing to start and finish under headlamps, go for it. The real question is "What type of trip are your looking for?"

-dave-

Ahh! alrighty. I'm neither a fast nor slow hiker either, and I don't really like stopping a whole lot, so it sounds like 14-ish hours total hiking isn't unreasonable. It also seems that camping will be a pain. I'm now pondering getting to the trailhead at 4 or 5am and just doing it in a day with lighter packs, like everyone else.

David Metsky said:
The real question is "What type of trip are you looking for?"

"something akin to the Pemi loop, without being insane"

(alt. answers: "anything without thunderstorms"; "a long, strange, one"; "something to help me sleep")

Hi rook,
Are you the MITOCer who posted an email today about this hike? If so, I have some comments.

First off, this is more then an "intermediate++" hike. The Presi traverse is arguably one of the most strenuous hikes in the east, especially with backpack gear, even in a 2-day format. I would only attempt a hike like this with climbers I knew well, or whom I knew were properly vetted, like through the AMC. I assume you'll screen people well, but still plan for bail-outs.

Have you checked out Mohamed Ellozy's website? I really like his narrative about preparations for a Presi traverse... Search VFTT and you'll find a link to his site.

Decide on whether you want to backpack it or not. I did this hike in the opposite direction as part of an NH AT through hike a few years back. With backpacking gear, we stayed at Mitzpah and the Perch. We were moving reasonably fast with full packs. Plan for bail-out car-spots, like Mr. Ellozy did, and screen the folks well.

God Speed,
Paul Skelly

Last edited:
Paul--

yep, that's me. I was hoping that by splitting up the traverse into two days that it'd be less strenuous, but the lack of good camping spots en route is convincing me to just do it in one long day. Most of the people who've replied have been hardcore MITOCers who would rather do it as a dayhike, anyway. As a plus, it looks like we have 3 cars as well as cabin access so we can sleep before driving home. Oh, and I'm both (a) screening neurotically and (b) not going if the sunday weather forecast looks bad on saturday afternoon... some mistakes you only make once.

I've read Ellozy's pages, used them as general guides for my hikes so far this season-- great reference! :)

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!

I would be careful about doing it in one day and going light. Given the vagaries of the weather at this time of year I'd think about planning for an unplanned bivuoac.

In the TIFWIW category, I've done it both ways (day hike, two day light backpack). I'm can a pretty fast hiker to very fast hiker if only carrying day gear (when I want to be). I probably wouldn't tackle the day hike this time of year. Getting a 4-5AM start and going like a bandit kind of sucks the fun out of it (unless you're looking for the physical challenge of it).

I'd rather light backpack, crash at the perch after knocking of Mad, Adams and Jeff, sip a little wine then knock the rest off the next day. But that's just me.

Friday: Spot a car at the Northern end, hike up to Nauman tentsite. Sat: Hike over to Lakes and down the Ammonoosuc to tentsite about 1 mile from the bottom. Sunday: Back up the Ammo. when your legs are fresh in the AM, on over Washington, the others and out.
Other way around. Valley Way over Jefferson, down Six Husbands. Camp along Great Gulf Trail, just up from Jct. of Wamsutta Trail. Good tentsites there near water. (tentsite on Wamsutta has been closed due to unusual number of fallen trees) Next Day: Up Spinx Trail, over Clay and Washington and the others, down Crawford Path to the Notch.

I have really nothing to add to everything else that has been mentioned, except that ill throw in another vote to forget Isolation...its just too far away.

For a two-day traverse I'd probably start at Appalachia and camp at the Valley Way tentsite. It's about 3000 ft. of elevation gain and wouldn't wear me out for day 2. Next day, get an early start and do the traverse.