2 Million Vertical in 1 Year

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
backcountry.com said:
Hill is in the midst of an attempt to climb and ski two million vertical feet in a calendar year, averaging 5,500 feet a day, every day. For you visual learners, that's the equivalent of 36 trips up and down Mt. Everest.
:eek:

With 1,930,369 vertical completed he needs to average about 10K vertical feet every day to achieve his goal.
If Greg Hill pulls this off by 12/31, I can't imagine it be repeated or bettered anytime soon.

There is some good footage on this Video update

I've been semi-following this all year and I am left wondering:
Is this type of motivation an asset or a liability?

:eek:

If Greg Hill pulls this off by 12/31, I can't imagine it be repeated or bettered anytime soon.

I've been semi-following this all year and I am left wondering:
Is this type of motivation an asset or a liability?
The way he is doing this, ski touring and such in big mountains..yeah friggin sick.

The act of doing 2 million vertical a year..is very good but not that sick. It is total vertical up/down. The numbers sound big because it is done out over a year. Really it would only require climbing up a 2,750 hill/mountain and coming back down once a day. So close to just climbing Buck mountain, Lake George (2K) once a day for a year. That doesn't fall into the insano physical feat status really. Wasn't there a guy who climb Monandock everyday for years or something? If most climbers starting actually doing the math of how much they are doing I think they would be surprised.

But again, doing it the way he is doing it with the risk involved carrying his skis and gear, in big mountain all weather conditions, that is pretty insane.

Last edited:
I seem to recall an entry in Freedom of the Hills - probably in one of the appendices - which suggests a recommended amount of elevation gain per year needed to maintain a good fitness level. IRRC, it was 150,000'/year.

2M'/year is alot of knee/hip cartilage.

Personally, I do about 4 hikes per month, and average ~ 2000' per hike, so that's 8000' / month ==> 100,000' / year. I also climb on average about 2000' / week on a treadmill, bringing me up to 200,000' vertical per year.

So that means I would have to increase my vertical by a factor of 10x to achieve this person's goal! :eek:

I would tend to agree that 150,000 / year will keep you in hiking shape, if that's all your aerobics, you'll stay in shape just doing that.

I can't hike as often, so I do aerobics Mon - Fri so that I can hike or not hike any given weekend and still keep my edge.