20 degree sleeping bag in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20F Bag

I'm a cold sleeper. On my last trip to Yosemite just after Christmas, I used my -5C (23F) MacPac bag inside an MEC overbag inside a Bibler Winter Bivy in about 20-25F weather. I was toasty. On another trip in the same area, I was sick and got cold with the same setup. I had my fleece on and threw my big parka (TNF Baltoro) over the bag. So, my point is, you can do it, but make sure you're well fed and hydrated. You might try it out somewhere close rather than experiment far from home.

Motabobo said:
It's all good ! It reached -10F in the night but I was sleeping in my car, so there was no wind...very comfortable :D.I had nothing else than my 20F MEC Sleeping Bag and Down Garments + liner clothing; which consisted of a FF Icefall Parka and FF Volant Pants. God I love those....If I'm sleeping in the open at the same T, I'll be wearing some fleece on top of that.

Mota,

Remember, you were in a car....Sleeping inside a car is much different than sleeping on the frigid ground. Padded car seats and sealed interior compared vs. thermarest and tent....are much different situations.