2010-06-22 Jay Mountain, NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail Boss

Reaction score
Jay Mountain, NY

2010-06-22

Summary
Trail is dry and in great shape. Hike from the trailhead to open ridgeline in slightly over an hour. Three and a half hours for lunch, photos, and exploring the ridge. Less than an hour to descend to the trailhead. I was the lone hiker that day.

Weather
Overcast, warm (high 70's), humid. Constant wind above treeline.

Visibility
Mildly hazy; I was able to see the outline of the Green Mountains in Vermont.

Details
The trailhead is on the east side of Jay Mountain Road approximately 200 feet south of the its junction with Glen Road. A protruding metal pipe (traces of yellow paint) marks the trailhead. The shoulder is large enough to park at least two cars.

NOTE
The shoulder is littered with crumbled glass suggesting either vandalism or robbery. I took the standard precaution of not leaving anything in sight. At the end of my hike, I was greeted by a local resident who cautioned me that cars had been looted recently. He added that his home (nearby) had been burglarized a few days earlier.

The trailhead has a register but contains no log book. If anyone has hiked this trail and lost their eyeglasses, the register contains two pairs. The trail is initially marked with yellow paint blazes but the balance of trail is unmarked. However, it is well-worn and very easy to follow. The ascent is straightforward and uneventful. There is one muddy section but it is easily traversed over fallen logs and protruding rocks. There is one section through a stand of tall pines that is steep, sandy, and surprisingly slippery. When the trail nears the ridgeline, it comes out onto a patch of open rock that is covered in fine gravel. This surface is also very slippery especially on the descent.

The hike to the ridgeline is not particularly scenic, or interesting, but the reward is the view. Upon reaching the open ridge you'll find an excellent view of the High Peaks and then some. This is one of the most comprehensive and impressive views you're likely to find. Starting from the northwest and sweeping south, I could identify Lyon, Whiteface, Esther, the Sentinel Range, Pitchoff, Cascade, Yard, Algonquin, Colden, Marcy, Haystack, every peak in the Great Range, Colvin, Nippletop, Dix, Hough, Giant, Hurricane, and Rocky Peak Ridge. I'd swear the Sewards were visible on the horizon, far in the south-west. In addition, to the east, you can see Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains (Mansfield and Camel's Hump are easy to spot). If you have time for only one hike this season, I'd recommend this one for its excellent views.

The real treat to this hike is the ridgeline. The south-east end of the ridgeline is about 1.5 miles away yet looks deceptively close. If you dash to the end of the ridge and return, it'll probably take two hours. I recommend you budget more time for savouring the wonderful views, the plants, nmosses, and alpine flowers, and enjoying a great trail. It winds its way along the ridge, down into cols, and up over rocky crags. I spent about 3-1/2 hours on the ridge; I was the sole hiker that day. Be aware that it isn't a walk in the park and there are plenty of ups and downs to work your knees thoroughly. I found my hiking poles to be indispensible. In addition to the major peaks, there are views of a nearby beaver pond (Merriam Swap), the watershed for Style Brook, Galina Basin, numerous smaller peaks and nameless bumps, and the town of Jay.

The ridgeline is well marked with cairns including one that appears to have been constructed by a stonemason. The middle peak also features a small inukshuk facing the High Peaks. There is no water on the ridge; I brought 2 liters and it was just adequate. The wind was constant and that helped to keep me cool (temperature was in the high 70's and it was fairly humid) and keep the bugs away. The black flies were evident during the descent to the trailhead (approximately one hour) and my car that was, happily, intact.

Last edited: