3-day backpacking in NW VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander13

Reaction score
I'm visiting Burlington in mid-June and would like to find a good route for a 2- or 3-day backpacking trip that would not involve a lot of climbing up mountains. An Achilles injury has limited my training so I need to find a reasonably flat route. I'd like to cover 5-7 miles a day. Does anyone have suggestions?

You may want to check out state forests. Dispersed camping is allowed in designated areas. The only flat-ish VT routes I'm aware of are in the southern part of the state or on the AT after the split.

The Catamount (xc ski trail) and VAST (snowmobile) trails might be flatter - I don't think either has established tent sites, but dispersed camping should be an option.

The Cross NH Adventure trail starting from Airport Road in Whitefield to the North Road in Shelburne is one to consider. It runs through a Fish and Wildlife refuge and the WMNF. No official campsites but plenty of places to camp. Unlike most of the rail trails in NH and VT, this section is just the old ballast and a lot rougher than a typical rail trail so its easier walking and far less traffic. There are local shuttlers. Hard to beat the views as it follows the Israel RIver and Moose RIver drainages. There is one short section shared with ATVs in Gorham that can be dusty but there are ways to bypass by walking local roads.

Cant beat the views in this section https://www.xnhat.org/

The Catamount (xc ski trail) and VAST (snowmobile) trails might be flatter - I don't think either has established tent sites, but dispersed camping should be an option.
In my area around camels Hump the CT is very wet in the summer and not flat.

In my area around camels Hump the CT is very wet in the summer and not flat.
I've heard it's one of the steeper sections, but from the maps it looks flatter than the hiking trails in the area, no?

Agreed, though, the Catamount is definitely not maintained as a hiking trail and gets messy in places.

The Cross NH Adventure trail starting from Airport Road in Whitefield to the North Road in Shelburne is one to consider. It runs through a Fish and Wildlife refuge and the WMNF. No official campsites but plenty of places to camp. Unlike most of the rail trails in NH and VT, this section is just the old ballast and a lot rougher than a typical rail trail so its easier walking and far less traffic. There are local shuttlers. Hard to beat the views as it follows the Israel RIver and Moose RIver drainages. There is one short section shared with ATVs in Gorham that can be dusty but there are ways to bypass by walking local roads.

Cant beat the views in this section https://www.xnhat.org/
Thanks.

I've heard it's one of the steeper sections, but from the maps it looks flatter than the hiking trails in the area, no?

Agreed, though, the Catamount is definitely not maintained as a hiking trail and gets messy in places.
It's definitely flatter then the hiking trails. The Challenge Trail is one I need to finish checking out. I've only done the west side.