3 day peakbagging marathon in Maine (24-26 June)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
12 pks summited in 3 days.

Could never have done this without the excellent directions published on VFTT, especially ones of Papa Bear & Bob/Geri, as well as the invaluable help of all those previous hikers who tramped out good herd paths for all 4 pks of day 1.

Day 1 (4 pks) : East Kennebago/White Cap/NKD/Cupsuptic Snow

Day 2 (7 pks) : Oquossoc Bald/Grand tour of Tumbledown ridge(West Pk, North Pk, Little Jackson, Big Jackson, South-East Pk & East Pk)

Day 3 (1 pk) : Revisit of West Caribou

Comments :

East Kennebago :
If you continue on after cairn & yellow blazed trees of boundary line for approx. ¼ m., you come to a fork in trail. Right branch brings you in about 200 yards to log cabin partially finished . Left branch fades out within another ¼ m.
BTW about 500 yrds beyond boundary line a good herd path on left marked by cairn goes up an old slide now almost fully regrown in & brings you straight to canister due west. Easy moderately steep climb under fairly open woods.

White Cap & NKD :
Very enjoyable hike with Poison Ivy’s group. Good herd paths now exist for those 2 pks with minimal bushwhacking.

Cupsuptic Snow :
Wiggle Brook Rd is now easily driveable up to log rd on left marked by sign with number 22 on it. Park there & walk up ½ m. or so to grassy field intersection mentioned in Papa Bear’s site with cairn straight across intersection. But resist taking ESE bearing straight in line with summit. Instead continue on straight ahead beyond cairn towards old grassy wide rd. You will soon pick up good herd path bringing you right to canister in 45 min. Made summit, signed register & was back to my car in slightly less than 2 hrs.

Grand Tour of Tumbledown Ridge :
WOW! Highly recommended as previously said by Papa Bear & Jared Gange in his book of the 100 classic hikes of the Northeast. I also recommend for the thrill to go up loop trail & go up final rock ledge via Lemon Squeezer (LS). Also check out Fat Man’s Misery (FMM), a fissure cave-like tunnel with 2 right-angle turns, quite narrow thus its name. It’s about 100’ below LS towards the right. If you manage to squeeze through & climb 12’ chimney you come to rock ledge with 15’ depth, 20° slant, 6’ vertical wall up to next ledge & 60’ vertical drop down. Impossible to go further without proper equipment & skills. So retreat for me. Actually the only reason I climbed chimney of FMM was that I initially thought this was LS. Afterwards when I found the true LS with its metal bars…a piece of cake compared to FMM.

From col go towards west to do West Pk(3068’), but don’t forget first to refill water bootle at spring just before entering LS. If you go 100 yrds beyond summit of WP, you will find a nice camping spot. A yellow rock blazed seldomly used trail continues along west ridge likely looping back with trail used to go up ridge. I turned back after 500 yrds & then headed for North Pk(3080’) following the numerous cairns zigzagging over the ridge with red & orange blazes on rocks. The constant zigzags maximize your pleasure but also maximize the effort on your knees, so that you may want to take a more direct course up NP. From there I continued on to Little Jackson(3470’) & then up Big Jackson(3568’) via newly established trail(actually a moss trail seeing little traffic). I signed the jar register to the right of trail just before reaching the helicopter pad on the summit. Then down towards Link trail to Tumbledown Pond. Just before reaching pond climbed South-East Pk(2872’), passed a family swimming in T. pond & then climbed East Pk(3020’) just after pond, descended col & exit via LS and back to car 8 hrs after leaving it. It had been a long hot & buggy day. I must confess that I was tired.

Revisit of West Caribou :
EUREKA! Found jar register this time(sorry dms-couldn’t wait any longer before going back). But DAMN! Would you believe that I forgot the pencil,even though Nate had worned me to bring one along. For a moment I considered signing the log book with the blood of my battle scratches with the thick scrub, but then …I guess I’ll just have to come back a 3rd time…Jogged all the way back to my car. To & from summit in 2h05 under a light refreshing rain.

Happy & safe hiking everyone,

Pierre

Could you describe the road conditions on the Caribou access or West Branch road. Could a compact car get past the bridge at 2 miles and get all the way to the warped bridge at 3 miles? Thanks, Gamehiker

What's your breakfast cereal?

Hello Pierre,

Glad to hear how your marathon turned out. I wouldn't say I was exhausted exactly after the Whitecap/NKD hike with Poison Ivy, Sal, Mark and you on your Day 1, but it certainly felt like more than half a day's hiking, which is all it was for you.

You're right about the thanks owed to PapaBear, Bob/Geri and their ilk (as I've said before). That includes you - your attractive and detailed descriptions of Moxie and Old Blue previously, and now the Tumbledown circuit, have added them to my list.

Pierre, congradulations on such productive three days. Plus, I'm really glad you found the canister on West Caribou. As you saw, it's really not all that far from the trail, if you know where to look. Plus, has anyone been to that peak since May 28th? I'm sorry you didn't have a writing implement with you. That's why I always bring a pen with me, so in case I don't find the canister I can just write on a few trees. :D When heading out there, how was Beaudry Road? Has it been improved at all since I was there? Finally, when you were in the Tumbledown vicinity, I'm little surprised you didn't also visit North Jackson, but I suppose that will give you a reason to return to that lovely area.

Anyway, thank you again for the trip report.

Nate said:
Finally, when you were in the Tumbledown vicinity, I'm little surprised you didn't also visit North Jackson
There used to be a map posted in downtown Weld that made it look like Blueberry was an easy addition to this group, but even Tom Sawyer finally didn't go there

Don't forget Mount Blue

Nice work Pierre - and nice report.

And let's not forget Mount Blue, the FF peak just on the other side of Weld. It's a nice peak with an open summit and little trails that go out on each side to view points. It's a fairly easy walk up of a fire wardens road/trail.

Have you already got thet one Pierre?

Last edited:
Gamehiker : Even with low clearing vehicle you should be able to reach parking spot just before tilted(warped) bridge. I had no problems with my Honda Odyssey minivan. Just go slowly. Wouldn’t however go beyond, since after ½ m. dirt rd gets softish & you could risk getting stuck in mud, especially with all the rain recently.

Amicus : May be interested in joining you for another East-West traverse of Moxie. Was truly pleasant to hike with you. Would also like to do an E.-W. traverse of Whites from Lafayette to West Bond in 2-3 days. Interested? Post me.

Nate : Beaudry Rd is fine, much better than Troutdale Rd from Lake Moxie Village. BTW may join you for 3 Bakers/White Cap/Saddleback/Big Moose/Little & Big Spencer on Labor Day wk, though I was planning to do those before and wrap them up in 2 days (2½ at most). Also will likely be going back to West Caribou shortly. Just can’t believe that I’ll be doing this non exciting pk for a 3rd time in such a short time span, but I had an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Papa Bear : Yes, have already done Mt Blue on day 1 of my 4 day Maine sprint (6-9 June 2006) . Blue was my 4th & last pk of the day after S. & N. Elephant & Old Blue. I really enjoyed the views from that summit with the sun rapidly dropping over the Rangeley pks.

Pierre

Last edited:
Pierre, don't think of your forthcoming trip back to West Caribou as revisiting an unexciting peak. Think of it as an opportunity to bag the rest of the Caribous, as well as any of the herd of 3k's in that area that strike your fancy. One of the few regrets about my visit to West Caribou is that I didn't have time to do all three peaks (since the hike fell at the end of a long day, and thus I only had enough time for West). Its too bad, especially since it looked like there was a herd path heading off West toward the Middle Peak (but then again, it could have petered out just beyond sight for all I know). Just overall, that's such a lovely corner of the state that you're lucky if you get to revisit it again so soon.

As for Labor Day Weekend, that's great news that you want to join me for those peaks. I'm certainly intrigued by how you plan to take in all five FF summits in 2.5 days. My strategy was to use four days so that there would be room to stop by some of the other 3k's that are within easy striking distance of a particular FF (i.e. also taking in Hay and West Peaks when doing White Cap). But, I'm sure we'll figure something out by then.

Last edited:
Nate, I guaranty you there is no herd path to the middle Caribou peak, so don't feel bad about not continuing on!