3 trails near Franconia Notch 6/12/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
My first 4K'er was Cannon Mountain. I first did it back in the 90s with some friends who were in much better shape than I. One of them hurried on ahead as we neared the top to make sure the tram would wait for me (not sure I could've made it back down again).

Then in 2003, after dropping about 30 pounds and getting a more active job, I convinced a friend to climb it with me again. We got a much earlier start than I had before, so were able to make it to the top with plenty of time to hang out, catch our breath, and then take the tram down. Since then, I've been on most of the trails on the little map they give out at the base of the tram. I was especially getting into it last fall, bagging all the peaks along Franconia Ridge and adding Garfield to my list. Over the winter I started reading up on hiking on the web, especially VFTT, got the White Mountain Guide, and now hope to complete the 48 (42 to go) and then some. But still, I wanted to complete the trails on that little map that got me started (is this what they mean by 'red-lining'?).

So, seeing as there was a chance of thunderstorms this weekend, it looked like a chance to do some of the shorter, less-exposed trails I hadn't got around to yet.

I started at 9am when I parked at the base of Bald Mountain. I took the loop trail east and then up to Artist's Bluff. This trail was quite over-grown but easy to follow, with a nice rocky trail to the bare spot overlooking the notch. Nice VFTT there, maybe I'll return someday with a canvas and my paints. The trek over to Bald's peak was great, I especially enjoyed the short scramble getting up the last couple dozen feet. I encountered a pair of hikers on the way up, but otherwise had the place to myself (not even too many skeeters to contend with). Took about an hour to do the whole thing.

Next, I headed over to do the Coppermine Trail to Bridal Veil Falls. Now this is an awesome hike! Especially on a hot'n'muggy day. After about 15 minutes the trail closely follows the Coppermine Brook, and the cool air coming off it was a real treat. It was easy to soak my hat in the cold water to help me stay comfy along the way. Took me about an hour to get to the falls. The shelter was a sturdy 3-sided lean-to with a fire pit in front, facing the brook, a short distance before the falls. I bet that'd be a great place to spend a night. The falls were flowing fast and I had to nearly go horizontal while braced between boulders at one point while trying to rock-hop up to the 2nd pool without getting my feet wet. I made it ok, and had my lunch while sitting on the big flat section of rock next to the pool. The mist from the falls where sweet! I had the place to myself for about 10 minutes, which was an added bonus. On the way out, I talked to some people who were wondering about how to get above the 2nd pool, but the rock face was pretty daunting when I had considered it myself, and I'm guessing you'ld have to do quite a bit of bushwacking to pull it off. Anyone out there ever manage that? I also had a nice chat with the guy from northeastwaterfalls.com near the bridge before the shelter. Nice guy, and I was psyched to be able to see his photos of it the next day since I don't have a working camera of my own. Up and back, minus lunchtime, was about 2 hours, and I saw about a dozen and a half other hikers.

That made for about 3 hours of hiking so far. It takes me about 4 -5 hours to drive up there and back and I like to spend at least as much time hiking as driving, so I was glad the storm seemed to be holding off long enough to get in another hike. So I headed back south to the Flume parking lot and headed up the Mt Pemigewasset Trail. This trail was alot more rugged than I was expecting, pretty steady moderate climb with lots of rocks and roots to walk on. I started to hear some distant rumbles after about 45 minutes, but was sure I was near the top, so hurried it up a notch to make the summit. And boy was I glad I did! What a great VFTT! I really love cliff faces, and having the forest spread out far below your feet is a real thrill. Definately worth checking out if you haven't been to this one yet. I'm looking forward to heading up the Indian Head Trail sometime soon with a friend. I only saw a pair of other hikers in the 2 hours it took me to head up and back. The rain was just starting as i reached the tunnels under the highway, and it was really refreshing. The deluge didn't start until I was well on my way back on 93. :)

All-in-all a superb day of solo hikes. Not much in the way of wildlife to be seen, and surprisingly little trouble from the bugs. I was impressed by one chipmunk I saw do a running leap off a large boulder (about 6' long and 4' high) that must have cleared at least 5' before he hit the ground running!

Now all I've got to do to finish the map is: Kinsman Ridge south of Kinsman Pond, Mt Kinsman Tr, Kinsman Pond Tr, the Pemi Tr between the Flume and Lafayette, Indian Head Tr, Franconia Ridge between Liberty and Little Haystack, and the Flume Slide (saving that for last)

For many years, I did most of my hiking in Franconia Notch. It's still a magic place for me and was a springboard for me into other regions of the Whites. I've now climbed all but three of the 48, and will certainly finish this year. All I can say is have FUN! If you like Franconia Notch, wait 'til you see the rest of it! :D