3M Ultrathon Bug Repellent seems to be heading off market

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite DEET based bug repellent 3M Ultrathon lotion seems to be hard to get of late. It has got 34% DEET and some sort of polymer mix that limits skin absorption so it lasts longer. I have been using it for 20 years including the years I was sectioning on the AT. I found it longer lasting than Bens 100 and seems to have less of a solvent effect than the 100% Deet mixes.

I did try a picaridin based product a couple of years ago but I managed to sweat a bit of it from secondary contact in my eyes. Definitely not an experience I would ever want to repeat, it took 24 hours before my eyes returned to normal.

I picked some up on Ebay but it just seems to be harder to get.

My favorite DEET based bug repellent 3M Ultrathon lotion seems to be hard to get of late. It has got 34% DEET and some sort of polymer mix that limits skin absorption so it lasts longer. I have been using it for 20 years including the years I was sectioning on the AT. I found it longer lasting than Bens 100 and seems to have less of a solvent effect than the 100% Deet mixes.

I did try a picaridin based product a couple of years ago but I managed to sweat a bit of it from secondary contact in my eyes. Definitely not an experience I would ever want to repeat, it took 24 hours before my eyes returned to normal.

I picked some up on Ebay but it just seems to be harder to get.
Sawyer has a 20% DEET lotion that they call "controlled-release." My family has used the old 30% version, which worked well, but I'm not sure how the newer formula works.