4 day hiking in north-western Maine (6-9 June) - Part A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
9 Peaks climbed (S. & N. Elephant/Old Blue/Blue/Kibby/Caribou/Boundary
Bald/Coburn/Moxie)

First off, I would like to thank Bob & Geri, Papa Bear & many others of VFTT forum for their invaluable information on car directions & trail descriptions. Very solitary 4 days of hiking, 2 of which were under the rain. Met absolutely no one on trails or summits.

Day 1: S. & N. Elephant/Old Blue/Blue

After my herd path trip to Redington from S. Crocker and back towards N. Crocker on May 27th, decided to tackle this time more challenging bushwhacks. BTW a new wind tower is being installed on Redington, with this time a double cylinder base for reinforcement. Also a very well cut out trail leads down the east side (surely used by the construction crew since I found box tools & spare parts lower down hidden in the bushes), very tempting to follow but which will not bring you back to S. Crocker. Finding the entry of the herd path to Crocker on your left when using the crew trail, as you are heading down the summit, can be tricky. The turn off is about 400-500 yards from the summit. I suggest to mark off your exit point on your way up.

As for bushwhack to Elephants, I was very lucky and reached the canister on S. Elephant at 09h15, that is 90 min. after leaving my car. I initially continued straight ahead on the old logging road from the cairn for about 0,1 mile and then took on my left a very well travelled caribou trail heading in the right direction. I then took a 340° bearing towards a clearing I had spotted from the parking. I encountered at most 40 min. of rough tick young spruce bushwhacking. Near the summit the forest is relatively open and I managed somehow to avoid the bad blow down sections.

I signed register just after Poison Ivy,Amicus & Big Earl. There seemed to have been no new entries since their May 5th trip. BTW the register book is very wet. Leaving it in the sun for an hour or so to dry up would really help. I then headed for N. Elephant whose summit I reached in 55 min. There I found rusted wire on a tree where the former canister was. On the ground there was a log book in a plastic bag, which I signed again just after the above mentioned friends whose tail I seem to be chasing.

I was back to S.E. by 11h45 & back to my car at 12h50. I then drove off to the AT trailhead on South Arm Road to do the 3,8 m. trail up Old Blue Mtn. Started off at 13h30 on an initially steep trail but easing off after about 0,5 m. The flat summit was reached within 1h50. There’s an old wooden sign identifying the summit, with good views of the Elephants as well as the southern distant peaks. Gene Daniell was right in recommending doing this pk while in the area. It compensates for the limited views from the Elephants.Was back to my car by 16h45 and drove off to the Blue Mtn trailhead. Started off at 18h05 for an easy 1,6 m. hike. The climb is constant but with an easy grade. Check out an old log cabin about ¼ way up. On summit there is an old fire tower metallic frame, but the stairs and platform are gone. There are very nice views of the south-eastern pks from a rocky ridge with the moon already smiling at me at 19h. & if you go slightly beyond to the north on a spur trail you will also have very nice views of the north-western pks. It was lovely to admire all those grandiose summits with the sun dropping over the Rangeley pks. WOW what a beautiful way to finish off my 1st day of hiking. Well almost if one excludes the 40 min. to get back to my car and the 2h45 to drive to the Kibby Mtn trailhead, where I car camped for the night.

Day 2: Kibby/Caribou/Boundary Bald

Very easy hike on a road-wide trail. Took me 50 min. to get to the Kibby Mtn summit & climb the fire tower with a warm breeze to greet me. Was back to car & off for Caribou by 09h25. Parked just before the tilted bridge & headed off at 10h15. Followed the right branch road countering valley to reach summit as described on Papa Bear’s site. Reached the summit close to 12h00. Searched around on this somewhat flat summit for 30 min. to find the alluded to jar register but never found it. Even obsessively looked under nearby scrubs which seemed 2 ft higher than the bolder on the height of land of the cut logging rd. Left frustrated being worried of having possibly missed the jar registry. Was back to my car & off for Boundary Bald Pk at 13h55. BTW bug season is now definitely arrived, so be prepared.

Left car at the 4,3 m. fork since that last right turn-off is onto a rough rd too risky for my minivan. The trailhead is about a ½ mile further on. Took me 90 min. to reach summit with its communications hut, 2h45 for the round trip to & from my vehicle. Nice views on the ridge with minimal winds but just enough to chase away bugs. I had noticed that my Suunto watch barometer had been indicating alternating ups & downs all day, and added to the few rain drops encountered on top of Boundary Bald Pk, made me fear impending rain. Sure enough when I reached the Coburn Mtn suggested starting point, it was raining. I decided to leave my car at the described small clearing at 2,3 m. from ME201 and car camp there for the night. For those of you wondering if I ever eat, the answer is yes, 4 meals a day actually when I do long strenuous hikes & I never worry about the extra calories.

Pierre

Track record as of June 11th 2006

Lists in order of priority Non-Winter Winter
1. ADK 46/46 46/46
2. Whites 4K 48/48 0/48
3. NE 4K 64/67 0/67
4. NEHH 84/100 0/100
5. 111 (115) 108/111 44/111
6. formerly listed peaks 5/7 1/7
7. NEFF 25/50 0/50
8. ADK 100 47/100 47/100
9. Québec 1000 meters 1/75 Not in my plans
10. Colorado 14ers 0/55 Not in my plans

Pierre, thank you for the trip report. Has Beaudry/Gold Brook Road been improved at all since I was up there Memorial Day Weekend? (I assume your saw the recently resurrected thread regarding road conditions) I hope the visibility on Kibby was decent, since there are incredible views from the summit platform. As for the west peak of Caribou, the canister was very much intact when I was there recently. When ascending the peak on the trail, it's on the very first summit bump you pass by on the trail (even though the second bump you pass by looks higher from the trail). It's a densely vegetated knob, which makes it difficult to observe as the highest from the trail. You have to fight your way through about twenty feet of dense stuff, and the jar is hanging from a dead tree facing into Canada. As I recall, the jar doesn't have any writing implements, so whoever climbs this peak next, please bring a pencil. When I was there, I was going to leave the pen I had on me, but the jar is too small to accomate a regular-sized pen (hence, please bring a small pencil).

Last edited:
S and N Elephant

Great write-up, Pierre. Poison Ivy, Big Earl and I ended up doing both of the Elephant peaks by mistake, so you get extra credit for doing them on purpose.

Thanks in particular for all the helpful details - you both stimulate my appetite for peaks like Old Blue and make it easier to plan a hike there.

Mike

View from Old Blue

This is one underclimbed mountain. It has the best view on the entire Appalachian Trail, at least in Maine. It is the only place you can simultaneously see Mt. Washington and the Bigelow Range, as well as the Mahoosics and dozens of other peaks. It is best in the winter when the air is dry and the 100 mile views are routine.

Thanks Nate for the invaluable info. concerning jar canister on Caribou.

Will bring small pencil on my next trip there.

Again MERCI !

Pierre

Last edited: