4 day loop hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
Any comments on this 4 day loop hike in mid-May? Day 1 Crawford Notch west to Ethan Pond shelter via Mts. Tom, Field, and Willey; Day 2 to Nauman tentsite via Ethan Pond Trail, Webster Cliff Trail and Mts. Webster and Jackson; Day 3 to Dry River #3 shelter via Dry River Cutoff, Isolation and Davis Trails to Mt. Isolation, backtrack to Dry River Trail, northeast to Dry River #3; Day 4 to Crawford Notch via southwest on Dry River Trail, north on Mt. Ike Trail, southwest on Crawford Path over Ike, Pierce and down to 302.

Some questions I have are: Although the ‘book’ times indicate that this itinerary is doable, are any of these days too ambitious? Will Nauman be filled at the end of Day 2? I’ve been there in the summer and it seems to fill quickly. Maybe I should shoot for mid-week. Will water crossings on Day 3 be troublesome? Will snowpack still be a problem?

The primary goal of this trip is for father & 24 yr. old daughter to bond over a strenuous multi day backpacking trip. Last year we took a leisurely 4 days to do a clockwise Pemi Loop, starting and ending at Lincoln Woods. A secondary goal is to add to our 48 total.

Thanks!

I'm not able to get out much in May due to school. The few times I have gotten out lead me to expect mud and possible dicey water crossings down low, and rotten snow at middle-high wooded elevations. Above treeline may well be clear of snow by then due to wind/sun exposure.

The snow that remains on the trails below treeline can be tricky because you have this semi-hardened ridge of snow which is the remains of what used to be a lovely snowshoe track. By late spring it is like trying to walk on a balance beam as the uncompacted snow on either side of it has melted faster. Other times I've found the track to be undermined by meltwater and have had some spectacular postholes into cold running water 4 feet below the snow level.

Under the least favourable conditions I've encountered in May, I think I would find your route unpleasantly ambitious, while under the most favourable summer conditions I would find it pleasantly challenging.

I don't think you'll have to worry about tentsites filling up in mid May, especially if you go midweek.

I'm sure others will chime in with more specific info about the trails you mentioned.

-vegematic