4000 footer views to others

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekMan

Reaction score
Suffield, CT Avatar: Highland Ctr after Presis
I am wracking my brain to figure out where the list is that shows how many of the othjer 4000-footers can be seen from each. e.g. Washington is NOT the best to see many others even being the tallest.

Please H E L P !! <TrekMan>

:eek:

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a list but I think Carrigain wins for views of the most 4Ks. I can't remember the number, but I'm pretty sure you can see around 43 of the 48 from its summit.

- Ivy

Steve must be figuring these out theoretically because I can't imagine seeing 29 4000-footers from atop Carter Dome without a chain saw.
:)

In "The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains" by Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman, there is an appendix that lists the number of summits that can be "seen" from each of the 48. I put seen in quotes because it states that the views listed are what would be possible if the summits were open. They then state that with "patient bushwacking" nearly all of the potential views ca be spotted.

For example, East Osceola has a potential view of 41 of the 48 even though it is completely wooded. I don't have patient bushwacking in my bag of tricks, so every time I have been there I don't think I saw more than a handfull through the trees.

Top of the list is Washington and Carrigain which are tied at 43.

It's a great book, go get it if you don't already have it. Buy it at the Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln of course... :)

- darren

Good info - thanks

poison ivy said:
Here's what Mohamed has on his site, which is a general listing of good views.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/views.html

But here is a numbered list, which I found on the Mountain Wanderer's website:
http://www.mountainwanderer.com/paths_peaks.html#HOW MANY NH 4000-FOOTERS CAN YOU SEE?

-- Ivy

Ivy - Thanks for the links. I know Mohamed's site and did not think I remembered it there. The Mountain Wanderer has a great list at the bottom, but I wonder about the accuracy. I had heard that Washington was NOT the one with the most peaks as Jefferson, Adams etc shut out some others. Yet they has Wash. on top of the list. And they did not have Wildcat-D at all - must be a dozen to 20 from there?! I need to look back in the AMC Guide, seems as though there was some discussion too, like why you could not see some from others in the way ....

You have helped a lot though - I have told fiancee Crista that we would see a lot from Jackson this weekend (and Eisenhower) and I think that is confirmed. Now if the weather is good we will see what we are wishing for.

Muchas Gracias .... TrekMan :D

TrekMan said:
I had heard that Washington was NOT the one with the most peaks as Jefferson, Adams etc shut out some others. Yet they has Wash. on top of the list.

Given that Adams and Jefferson are to the north of Washington, the most they could block would be Cabot and Waumbek and I don't think they do.

I've definitely counted all 43 that can be seen from Carrigain. Haven't ever tried it on Washington - there's just too much distraction :( .