#67 (again) Tues, 04/18, Sugarloaf/Spaulding/Abraham

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Arm & I were rained out today, but Tuesday's forecast looks a lot better (a view would be nice for #67).

14+ mile hike from Sugarloaf, less if we take the ski slopes. Be aware that Abraham has lots of exposed ridgeline to traverse.

Feel free to call me on my cell (listed in my profile under "occupation"), as I will have limited web access on the road, or Arm via PM.

I'm going overseas for a year about a week from now, and want to bag #67 before then, hence the urgency.

if it's the view you want maybe you should consider thursday instead - weather forecast below. on a good day this hike gives you views of katahdin and washington, and everything in between!
i did not get the word from arm that you guys had cancelled yesterday - waited for you guys at the woodsman for a while before realizing that plans had changed.

can't make it tuesday but i could take thursday off if you reconsider.

Tuesday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tuesday Night and Wednesday
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s. Highs in the upper 50s.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s.
Thursday
Mostly sunny in the morning...then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 50s.
Thursday Night and Friday
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Highs in the lower 50s.

G O,

I'm terribly sorry about the miscommunication, and will do anything, to include treating you to a lobstah dinner to make up for it. The hike was cancelled at the last minute- my understanding was that it was just going to be Arm & I, and doing a hike w/ 90% cloud cover solo just didn't seem worth it to me.

If I had been aware that you were going to be there, I would have driven out there. As it was, I was in a hotel out in Rumford, about a 2 hour drive away and just went back to sleep when I found out that Arm couldn't make it. I left my cell phone turned on, did you have it?

As far as Thursday instead of Tuesday... I don't know. I now live in Virginia, and am getting ready to go overseas for a year. My employer will be telling me my flight date probably tomorrow, and we can go from there. But I think I'm going w/ the first sunny day.

Feel free to call me on my cell listed on my profile.

Last edited:
G O,

I was just thinking that another way of making up your being stood up yesterday would be for me to be available for a Thursday hike even if I bag #67 on Tuesday.

HOWEVER... this is contingent on my having enough time to do this. My employer should be contacting me w/ my flight date today or tomorrow (Monday).

I'd love to see what Kathadin looks like up-front covered in snow (did it in October, w/ no snow), see Mt. Carrigain w/ a view instead of the fog it was enveloped in when I bagged it... but the choice would be yours- really, any peak that you need.

Again, I cannot over-emphasize that I do not yet know if I can make a Thursday hike, but will let you know as soon as I find out.