9/9/06 Flume & Liberty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellen

Reaction score
Cath, Yogi (a.k.a. dave), Yogi the dog, and I set out at 8:30a.m. for a great
hike up Flume Slide Trail, over to Liberty and down Liberty Sprigns Trail. Yogi the dog carried his own pack for the the first time, which worked out very well
since Dave had to carry him by the handle on his pack up much of the slide.
We followed the bike path to Liberty Springs trail for a nice .6 miles where the trail intersects with Flume Slide Trail. The trail to the silde was gradual, which was a nice warm up for our legs. The slide was fun and challenging. Cath & I used the trail to the side of the slide a couple of times. Behind me I could here Cath mumbling "I'm not a hiker" and a woman hiking with a large group in front of us said, "are you sure this is the trail" :)

With the slide behind us we hiked on. We were following a man with his teenage niece (on her first hike)! Somehow, Someway we managed to lose
the trail. I have a terrible sense of direction and bushwacks are not my favorite. They require me to put much of my faith in Dave, knowing that he always gets us to our destination. After 30-40 minutes of bushwacking in some pretty hard stuff we connected back to the trail.

We had forgotten that today was the day for flags on the 48. What a nice surprise when we got to the top! There were a lot of people on Flume. I really enjoyed the hike and will definately put it on my list to do again. We hiked down the trail toward Liberty before finding a nice and quiet lunch spot.
We were the only ones on Liberty. We took a small break and enjoyed the views. It started to sprinkle so we descended Liberty Springs Trail. We encountered showers on and off down the trail. The sky opened up just before we reached the bike path. There was thunder, lightening, and lots of rain. We waited under a bridge for a few minutes hoping the rain would lighten up. No such luck. We parked at the wrong lot so we ended up hiking nearly a mile in heavy rain. We made it out safe, tired, wet, and with great
memories! The Woodstock Brewery for a beer and Truant's for dinner was a great end to our day :D