A few more details on the Phillips Brook Windfarm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested to see the research on lynx habitat permanently impacted by windfarms. I have seen prior references that the resurgence of Lynx in Maine was aided by clear cutting as it improved the snowshoe hare habitat, but cant cite any specific studies.

When the spotted owl became the symbol against cutting trees in the NW there was an attempt by regional groups to identify the "spotted owl of the east", initially Pine martens were identified, but subsequently rejected as there were studies in place that they like regnerated softwood stands. The next candidate was the Lynx but I believe they too were established to prefer regrowing clear cuts. Although it doesnt impact western Maine significantly, I think the Atlantic Salmon listing trumped the effort.

I expect there was an impact during construction, but once the turbines are in operation it would be hard to imagine that the wildlife in the area would not become tolerant.

Granted it does subjectively despoil an area from a distance but given its past as a working forest (a good way to get a view of its recent history is to use the history function on Google Earth), it has not been pristine forest in a long time.

With regard to access to the area, I am not sure of the current status. They had indicated that access would be limited during construction but their project manager had stated publicly that the area would be reopened to the public after constuction. Do note that they dont own the surrounding land and the current owner, John Mallone's firm, could elect to keep the gates locked.

A little general information about the American pine marten. http://www.conwaydailysun.com/community/story/country-ecology-feb-18-2012

I've heard a lot of interesting detail on the project, but will have to wait for a report to be published.

In regards to access to the area, a close friend was up there on Friday and was equally confused as to what access was actually permitted. They were in and out of the road as well as the snowmachine corridor and very few to none of these points were signed with restrictions. The only posting I have seen on Dummer Pond Rd. is "No Hunting". This was originally reported as a safety measure during construction.

I was up there on Tuesday working along the same snowmobile corridor, and happened to not have been there in over a year (except other side of ridge), and was surprised how close to the trail everything was. I also was surprised when I crossed the Dummer Pond Rd. that there were no restriction signs from the corridor to the road. I took some pictures from the trail when I was right below the turbines and will attach some images since my camera is currently elsewhere. They look neat but almost caused me to drive off the trail numerous times being distracted! Certainly a major impact although.

I would disagree that the martin would benefit from disturbance of extensive ridgetop habitat that already is prime spruce/fir/softwood, as lynx might at a slightly lower elevation. These areas were heavily cut but not the upper peaks and ridges. Think predator highways now open on ridgetops that were formally only the domain of specialized species. Oh well- guess we have to embrace globalization.

Attachments

• Power Lines.jpg
    Power Lines.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Wind Towers.jpg
    Wind Towers.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 102
  • Wind Towers 1.jpg
    Wind Towers 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Wind Towers 2.jpg
    Wind Towers 2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Re: Effest on wildlife. I was listening to a CBC documentary on white powder disease on American brown bats. When an 'official' was asked if they should be put on the endangered list, the answer was that would prevent the use of windmills. Hmmmm mm.