A few pics from Phelps Mt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
One of my relatives was visiting from California and he wanted to hike his first ADK peak, so I decided to take him out to Phelps Mt. It was on my list of 46'ers left to hike, and seemed like a nice moderate hike for a non-hiker. I figured if I brought him up a herd trail in the middle of nowhere for a 15 mile hike, he may not visit again. So we parked at ADK Loj, and did the traditional route up Phelps, which was about 4.2 miles or so each way, with just over 2,000 feet of elevation gain. It was a gorgeous day, and we had fantastic views of quite a few of the 46'ers from the peak, which was a welcome change from the last three hikes I did with no views at all in the rain. So, here are a few pics from the peak,

Looking towards Haystack, Basin, Saddleback and the Great Range

Wright, Algonquin, and Iroqouis

We also had some great views looking towards Colden, Tabletop, and Marcy as well. We decided to stop along the stream on the way down, and ice our feet, which always makes them feel like brand new.

And of course, I always need to get the mandatory Marcy Dam shot.

We ended the day by grabbing some food and beer at the Lake Placid Brewery, and saw the ski jumping and hockey venues in Lake Placid, and took a dip in Mirror Lake. It was a full day of being a hiking tourist. A little sidenote, we saw several thousand people wearing spandex and looking ultra fit, I am guessing there was some sort of iron man training or something going on this weekend. I thought I was in decent shape, until all the 3% body fat people decided to stop running and biking and go for a swim in the lake.