Mt. Wachusett

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
I only had 1 day off this week and did not want to fight any more snow and such, it's been a long winter. So, I looked for something new and South, that brought me to Mt. Wachusett. Knew absolutely nothing about the mountain, but I figured, it's pretty small to die on. Ended up going up the Harrington trail, which was really nice, very rocky, but the rocks were like steps, seriously you could put 100 trail maintainers to work and they couldn't do any better. The lady I was with, didn't want to go down the wet rocks, so we went down the Mountain house trail, which was an excellent decent trail, picked up a few more connecting trails and finished the loop. Summit was socked in, so no views, but I was pleased with the hike and it got me and the dog out of the house. Greylock next.

Not sure if you've done the Ossipee 10 or Belknap 12, but they provide a fun distraction from way up North in the early Spring.

They are also becoming the sensible hiker's Grid challenge! People!!

Not sure if you've done the Ossipee 10 or Belknap 12, but they provide a fun distraction from way up North in the early Spring.

They are also becoming the sensible hiker's Grid challenge! People!!
Me and my dog have both.

I only had 1 day off this week and did not want to fight any more snow and such, it's been a long winter. So, I looked for something new and South, that brought me to Mt. Wachusett. Knew absolutely nothing about the mountain, but I figured, it's pretty small to die on. Ended up going up the Harrington trail, which was really nice, very rocky, but the rocks were like steps, seriously you could put 100 trail maintainers to work and they couldn't do any better. The lady I was with, didn't want to go down the wet rocks, so we went down the Mountain house trail, which was an excellent decent trail, picked up a few more connecting trails and finished the loop. Summit was socked in, so no views, but I was pleased with the hike and it got me and the dog out of the house. Greylock next.
I know of several people who have hiked and skied which you said. I have never been, but I’m told it’s a very lovely area.

My dog & I explore Wachusett often enough to have nearly walked all of the trails. Lots to see, and a wide range of terrain. Some pretty rugged climbs on some of the routes, and easy walks up the roads. Really good for testing new gear (footwear, for example). Wonderful views from the top on a clear day. Even some stands of old growth forest. The Midstate Trail goes over the top. Expect crowds at the summit on nice days, especially in the summer when the road to the top is open, but you can enjoy some solitude on some of the trails as well.

Have only been to Wachusett once, up and down past the Balance Rock, a neat boulder. The views at the top are really nice, from Monadnock to Boston, and north.
I had driven from Connecticut, and my hiking friend that day from Arlington Mass. Unfortunately he locked his key in his car in the lot after the hike; so I drove him home to Arlington to get another key, then back. At least we had a good chat to make up for the extra driving time.

Inspired by this thread, my dog & I spent a couple of hours at Wachusett today. No summit...we stayed on the unimproved roads that wind through the reservation. Lots of interesting stuff to see, including an off-the-beaten path picnic area with a spectacular view and a somewhat remote pool in a stream. Rarely encountered anyone else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322-154003.png
    Screenshot_20240322-154003.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 0