Mt. Monadnock_ hello there old chum

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
I love Mt. Monadnock, but they do not allow dogs and I own a dog. I have over 200 ascents, but I rarely ever set foot on the peak anymore, because my dog is always at my side. Well, my dog is nursing a leg injury, so I thought, I'll lie to him and tell him I'm going to work and scoot over to visit an old friend. I chose trails that I have never done before to spice things up, I started on the Marlboro trail, diverged onto the Marian trail, then to the Great pasture trail summiting a feature known as the Monte Rosa which interestingly enough, sports a huge weathervane. From that perch we reached the summit via the Smith summit trail, which was an amazing trail, slabs, corners, scrambles, just an absolute delight. We had a snack on the summit, then descended the Marlboro trail back to the car. Who know when Ill be back again, but the great thing about mountains, they will wait for you as long as it takes.

Attachments

• 20240613_140117.jpg
    20240613_140117.jpg
    115.6 KB
I love Mt. Monadnock, but they do not allow dogs and I own a dog. I have over 200 ascents, but I rarely ever set foot on the peak anymore, because my dog is always at my side. Well, my dog is nursing a leg injury, so I thought, I'll lie to him and tell him I'm going to work and scoot over to visit an old friend. I chose trails that I have never done before to spice things up, I started on the Marlboro trail, diverged onto the Marian trail, then to the Great pasture trail summiting a feature known as the Monte Rosa which interestingly enough, sports a huge weathervane. From that perch we reached the summit via the Smith summit trail, which was an amazing trail, slabs, corners, scrambles, just an absolute delight. We had a snack on the summit, then descended the Marlboro trail back to the car. Who know when Ill be back again, but the great thing about mountains, they will wait for you as long as it takes.
That is a fantastic route and one of my "go to's" on Monadnock. Next time you have a chance and if you haven't already, check out the various trails that connect off and on Cliffwalk and summit Bald Rock. Almost every trail in that section that is not a "White" something is pretty awesome. Amphitheater is another favorite.

That is a fantastic route and one of my "go to's" on Monadnock. Next time you have a chance and if you haven't already, check out the various trails that connect off and on Cliffwalk and summit Bald Rock. Almost every trail in that section that is not a "White" something is pretty awesome. Amphitheater is another favorite.
I will for sure, Bald Rock looks cool and there was a sign I walked by for the "Black Precipice" that sounds interesting as well.

I will for sure, Bald Rock looks cool and there was a sign I walked by for the "Black Precipice" that sounds interesting as well.
Black Precipice is a great outlook that makes a nice place to stop and the trail over to it is very nice. Will remind you of the Whites. I take Cliffwalk often for sunrises on Bald Rock and then take a variety of the trails in that area to meander back to the car.

Monadnock was the first NH mountain that I climbed way back in 1973 with my college girlfriend. Many moons ago. Don't really remember the hike that well and couldn't say what route we took but I know we reached the summit. She convinced me to do Lincoln, Lafayette and Washington too, though not on the same day :cool:. I have to credit her for introducing me to hiking in NH. I wonder where she is now? I wish her well and hope she's still hiking.

I have lived in NH since 1987. I have only climbed it once. Too long of a drive from Gorham, with all those big mountains in the way. ;)

I have lived in NH since 1987. I have only climbed it once. Too long of a drive from Gorham, with all those big mountains in the way. ;)
For us flatlanders in CT that is a great mountain to get a big mountain experience without a 3-4 hour ride. It has legit terrain and vertical and even 4k sized crowds on top. :D