A Long Trail to Mt Redfield, 6/27/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daLunartik

Reaction score
Started from the Loj at 6:45 am. Encountered a few wet and bedraggled hikers making their way back to the Loj, but otherwise made nice time to Marcy Dam. There was a cluster of hikers all bunched up at the Dam, chatting and snapping the obligatory photos:
album.php

Started making my way towards the Lake Arnold-Avalanche Lake trail split, still trying to make up my mind about which route to take. Shortly before the trail split, an outbound hiker reported that people had problems crossing the Feldspar the day before during the rain. That pretty much made up my mind on my route - Avy Pass it was. Spectacular as always, just love the headwall of splintered birches. Down to Avalanche Lake where I stopped for Breakfast.
album.php

Off and around the Hitch-up Matilda's, clambering from rock to ladder to rock and oh, look, it's the trail again. At the end of Avalance Lake, I encountered a hiker I'd been leapfrogging from the Dam. We start chatting on our way over to Lake Colden, turns out to be Mudrat (from ADKHP) on his way to play on the Colden Slides. Always nice meeting Forum Members on the trail. :tup: Parted ways with Kevin when he hit his drainage jump off point and proceeded to slip and slide my way along the little used trail along the base of Colden. And by slip and slide, I mean every raised board and platform was slick as ice with all the rain of the previous days. Later in the day the walkways and boards dried out with the sun and warmth of the day, but in the early morning they were still ponding with water in spots. Thankfully there's only two or three spots where the trail is actually walkways on Lake Colden itself :eek:

Next thing I knew, I was walking along the Opalecent. Popped out on one of the rock ledges for a snack and to pump some water. Two families passed me as I was basking the morning sun, but I quickly caught and passed them as they were distracted by the raging stream. The trail itself was in pretty good shape - flowing water in spots from the rain, with occasional patches of shallow mud. Pretty much what you'd expect after a couple days of rain.

A quick lunch at the Uphill Lean-to, then off to the herd path. Quite an enjoyable section of woods, followed by an equally enjoyable splash up the stream. My climbing legs started running out of gas during the last 200' or so, but I perked back up when I started getting glimpses of Colden and the MacIntyre range. Then there was no more climbing - Whoo-Hoo! #33. It was indeed, a Long Trail to Redfield.
album.php

I popped over to the viewpoint...and well, we all know it, but damn, Allen really is in the middle of nowhere!
album.php

No bugs the whole hike in, but of course I was visited by a small swarm of Black Flies while on the summit. Briefly thought about whacking over to the Slide for it's views, but by the time I got my pack back on, all I wanted to do was escape the swarm. A quick and uneventful descent to the trail. About 10-15 min on the trail when I encountered this little guy.
album.php

A quick pause, and he scampered into the woods.
album.php

When I got to Lake Colden, I opted for the longer, more used trail around the Lake. After threading my way through the Avalanche Lake trail, I stopped again to pump water and eat a snack. Passed lots of people heading into Lake Colden for the night, and quite a few more packing in when I hit Marcy Dam. Back to the Loj at 6:00.

GPS recorded 17.8 miles and 3450'. Redfield puts me at 33/46 with only a couple of "big" hikes left (Sewards & HaBaSa) to "worry" about.