A night out on Wildcat...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Tuesay night I found myself with a free evening and a good forecast and got the opportunity to check another thing off of 'my list'. Having seen some amazing scenes from the Mount Washington Observatory's webcam on Wildcat, I've long wanted to take in a sunrise from the summit myself. And having recently completing my final shift at the ole job, I had an itching for a mountain morning...

I got to the ski resort parking lot at around 7PM, and took off up the Bobcat slope. The trip up was fast and relatively uneventful, except for scaring up a few turkeys and chicks and greatly irritating the mom. The lowest slopes have a few ripe blueberries, and the rest of the way up the strawberries are still in fruit, so I foraged the whole time.

I set up my bivy on a nice flat spot near the top, and took in a nice sunset. Washington was in the clouds, but the other mountains were clear, and to the east the sky went pastel.

That's when things got interesting!!!

When I got back to my bag, I scared up a flock of birds that looked to be the size of quail. Figuring that I had messed up their roost for the night, I thought nothing of it. However, shortly after crawling in, I felt like I was being watched. THEN...

Swoop...

A bird flies right over my head and perches above me, then another, then another! I got out my headlamp just in time to see another Saw Whet owl hovering above my bivy. For the next two hours I was driven nearly mad by as many as 5 tiny owls (counting sets of light reflecting eyes) perching in the trees and taking turns flying over me at very close range. I didn't understand the behaviour, but it was fascinating. And honestly a bit frightening. Any guesses: Recent fledglings near their nest perhaps? Camping over a mouse hole?

I eventually got to sleep, and was greeted by a moose grunting in the woods at 4:30 at first hint of twilight. Lots of fog around, not good for sunrise, so I packed up and hoped. Skies did break a bit just after first light, and Washington did turn some great colors. I was satisfied for sure!

The hike down was uneventful. More foraging and a few stops along he way for more pictures in the early light. A great quick trip, and something I hope to do again...

A few rough, unedited PICTURES HERE!

Last edited:
I very much enjoyed reading your lively and interesting TR, especially since I'm into foraging myself. Great pics, too. Can't comment on the behavior of the owls beyond what you have already said though.

Ray

Last edited:
Excellent trip report. I love wild blueberries and strawberries also. I hope I get back up there in time to have some. :(

Very nice pics also.

Keith

Thanks...

Bill, my backpacking lens is the sigma 18-200mm. It's very compact and adequately sharp, but the big plus is that it covers a huge range of shots...

Wow! Beautiful shots!!

(Nice TR too .... :p )

Wish my pics looked half as good ..........

Wildcat

Great shots as usual. Man, you've got the eye. I am totally jealous of your trip. I'd sleep on a mountaintop every night of my life if I could.

I'm guessing you're on the right track with the fledgeling theory. They were probably learning to hunt. Moths and other flying things that go bump in the night.

I'll be thinking about you Saturday while I'm hiking "your" mountain. I'll try to take some pictures that do it justice out of respect for your shooting abilities.

KDT