A.T. in Kent, CT, From River Road Up St. Johns Ledges And On to Rt. 341

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Got a late start today, as I had to work the morning wrapping up loose ends that appeared late Friday and couldn't wait. Got to trailhead in Kent, bike on rack on back of car, as this was a solo effort. Parked across the street from the stile (my first), starting at maybe 1:55 pm, biked past the Kent School, then Skiff Mtn Road, right onto rough-and-ready River Road, another 1.8 mile (about 3.3 total) to the south end of the riverwalk, where the trail turns west and climbs St. Johns Ledges from the north. Locked the bike on the tree below the A.T. signs and the double-stacked blazes, departing on the hike at about 2:15, about 4.8 A.T. miles from the car.

Carried microspikes, having read Mike P's report on Bear Mtn about 20 miles northward over the weekend, featuring plenty of snow and ice. Those miles must make a difference, as there was minimal ice and only occasional flecks of snow here and there, none presenting any issue. The difficult parts of the hike were concentrated in the first and last half miles or so. After a gentle 0.1, the trail begins climbing below the ledges, ascending at an average 30% grade over mostly rough granite, ranging in size from small rock steps to large boulders. There were a few scrambling moves along the way and a spot or two where you had to take particular care. 500' or so of climb later, I was up top of the ledges. This part of the trail, according to two guidebook entries I read, was built by local volunteers and a professional crew from the White Mountains. Though I've not done the Webster Cliff Trail, my sense is that this stretch resembles that trail from the descriptions I've read, though the climb is about 1/3 the size.

Once at elevation, the hike was pretty easy, descending and climbing here and there, getting the nice rocky top of Caleb's Peak en route, at 1160' or so the high point of the day. The descent down to Skiff Mtn Road was rocky but manageable, and the short descent from the road to beautiful Boggam's Creek was nice. By now, it was about 3:50. I had 2.8 miles to go and needed to hustle - wanted to do the final descent to the Macedonia Brook Valley in as much light as possible, as the trail guides billed it as rugged. The climb out of the creek's vale, also billed as tough, was pretty easy, and the next 2+ miles or so were gentle. Along the way, it occurred to me that, were it in New Hampshire, the Macedonia Brook Valley ahead would be termed a notch, as it has steep walls to its north and south. Not as grand as its peers further north, yet demanding respect.

Thought I might be lucking out, as I got to the north side of the "notch" at maybe 4:55, still with plenty of light, and the descent started easy. Unfortunately, it got quite rough and rocky for about 0.2, not as fierce as the Ledges earlier, but in descending dark amidst the dense hemlocks, it required care and attention. Towards the bottom, some dry leaf buildup from the hardwoods the trail had by then descended into got the better of me and, amidst the rocks, my feet gave way and I fell. I was able to guide the fall with my trekking poles - it was the whoops!, my feet slid forward as I fell backward variety. Landed gently on my pack and fortunately was no worse for the wear, though my right trekking poll bent sharply and almost snapped, I would later discover. I had left my headlamp, forgetfully, in the back seat of my car - it was a casualty of swapping out from my heavy winter/long distance pack to my light day pack. It would've helped.

Anyhow, no worse for the wear, the valley nearby in sight, I descended the remaining 50 feet of elevation to the cow pasture through which Macedonia Brook winds, over the nice three-log bridge, through the pasture under the light of the rising moon, over the stile and back to my car at about 5:15. Was a nice little jaunt.

I have a friend, Drew, who did a SOBO Connecticut section in March almost two years ago, with plenty of late winter snow and ice on trail. I don't plan to follow his example, as least with respect to St. Johns Ledges, any time soon. That is some serious business.

After the hike, on the recommendation of Drew and a couple of other friends, I stopped for dinner at the Fife 'N Drum in the main village of Kent. I would recommend it to anyone - the owner, Dolph, is a widely recognized pianist and performer who often plays the house piano himself. It being Christmas Eve, he was entertaining a large gathering of his family for dinner, so a hired hand tickled the ivories capably in his place - lots of fun Christmas carols and other standards lit up the beautifully appointed room and bar. The food is great - it's an old-fashioned roadside country inn - and there's plenty to drink to go along with it. Having come in from a hike, I opted for Long Trail - seemed fitting. As it's in Litchfield County, the fare is pricey, but it's superb if you're willing to splurge for the occasion, as I was.

Photos to follow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, that is nice country up through the Housatonic Valley. If you have'nt been there yet, head up the road a bit and check out Race Mt. I have heard it referred to as the 'Knife Edge' of Massachusetts although obviously far less so.

Thanks, Andrew. The stretch from Lion's Head to Mt. Everett, including Mt. Race, is my home territory on the A.T. The cliff-top walk on Race is beautiful and, in places, vertiginous. Great hiking there - I've heard others compare it to the mountains of western Maine, which I've not yet gotten to.

Here are some pics from Monday:

One of the first looks up the A.T. under the Ledges from near their bottom.

385709_10200331190105326_1557651027_n.jpg

This spot doesn't look too daunting, but the footing left of the stump is poor and woobly. About halfway up.

148598_10200331200305581_129578836_n.jpg

The hard granite is pretty:

481526_10200331201185603_550918323_n.jpg

Same spot as previous, looking northeast up the Housy Valley:

407316_10200331202665640_434981549_n.jpg

Also same spot, looking down whence I came:

602749_10200331203545662_1717583419_n.jpg

Almost to the top, looking down the trail's route:

537580_10200331207785768_90369802_n.jpg

The top is just ahead. Hard part's almost over, ridge walk soon to commence:

25037_10200331208385783_2067594148_n.jpg

4:45 and I'm almost even with the small Kent village across the river and below:

462802_10200331220106076_314162029_o.jpg

A serendipitous shot - I like what the flash of the phone cam, the light of the moon and the low light from the cow pasture conspired to do here. Van Gogh-esque. That's the south end of the ridge I just traversed, below the moon:

178751_10200331225226204_1805465903_o.jpg

Nice spot for an after-hike repast:

314521_10200331228106276_1231129655_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun hike and all ended well. Nice cliffs, love em. Your choice for dinner sounds like it was a good one too, Thanks for sharing your adventure.