Abandoned Paddock Mines Shaft #1 and #2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
We still have a couple of TR’s from our vacation last week, just getting the videos done is slowing the process. This adventure took us back to the abandoned Paddock Mines in Lyman, NH. John Paddock bought this land back in 1875. This time we were able to get to the true Shaft # 2. We thought the vertical mine we found the first time was it, but after talking to a local, he said he had believed that the vertical shaft was part of shaft #1 and remembered a couple kids getting stuck down there that had to be rescued. I’d love to say that we did get down there this time, but it has proven to be more difficult that we had originally thought. That’s OK though we did find shaft #2 this time and we will be back with longer and stronger ropes next time. Trust me, we are going down the shaft! :cool:
We parked off Under the Mountain Road and made our way through the many access roads to the opening of Shaft #1. We took a quick look at the artifacts outside but today’s trip was mainly for the shafts. Not much has changed, it’s abandoned, what could change? We still needed boots for the same section and the water is still just as deep. The drought is having in effect in the mine. What was different this time was there were no bats. At one time, this mine was home to over 3000 bats. We are hoping they have found some place else. The White Nose Syndrome Disease is taking its toll on the bat population. The other thing possibly keeping them away could be ATV’s. We used to ride them too, but never would have attempted to drive one down the shaft, yup we saw tire tracks. The noise and the exhaust could be enough to cause the bats to move. Enough said on that. :(
When we reached the end there are two ways they used to be able to go, one way went straight, the other way went up to the right. One of our friends wiggled through the opening to see if the mine continued, but said all that is on the other side was just a small cavity. The other way looks like it was purposely blocked and we now believe that the other side might lead to the vertical shaft, but there is no way to get through.
There was something new in all the debris on that side though. Cheryl noticed it first and we all kind of stopped for a minute when she said, ‘Is that a gun up there?” I had thoughts of it being used in a murder and ditched in there. I know, I’ve seen too many movies. It looked real enough and in fact it was, but it was an air pellet hand gun. We figured somebody must have had it and it slipped out of their pocket. We just left it where we found it.
We left shaft #1 and headed to the vertical shaft. Cheryl and I didn’t remember it being so deep and steep. We had 50’ of rope with us, but that wasn’t going to be enough, we also want thicker rope too. As I already said, there will be at least one more trip to conquer this shaft.:cool:
We left there and headed back to our cars and headed further down the road. Our friends who were with us had tried to find the shaft the Cheryl and I went to the first time. They searched for a while and ended up finding Shaft #2 instead.
This shaft is wider the Shaft #1, but messier to get in. First of all it smells really bad at the entrance. There is water in front of it that could be 6’ deep and it looks and smells like septic water. Not only that, but there is boot sucking mud to content with too. Once you get by that though, it is dryer than Shaft #1 and the smell gets better the further in you go. A lot of the holes that remain from drilling the mine have turned into homes for spiders and there were quite a few baby sacks hanging to, so if you don’t like spiders, I wouldn’t recommend this shaft for you. :eek:
As we walked along the shaft there is a small room to the left that is housing some frogs. I don’t believe they see light very often as only one stayed long enough to be filmed. These mines are very cool if you like that sort of thing and places like this are right up our alley. ***
We made it down to the end and then turned around and headed back out. One thing I can tell you if you plan to go and find the mines, bring headlamps and flashlights, because these mine are pitch black.
The video is best viewed at 1080p60...

Another great adventure so nicely documented.

Curious about those tailings. Any green hue from oxidation? The trajectories of ore prices and extraction technology sometimes makes old mines and tailings feasible to extract metals though I would expect that these mines and tailings are so comparatively small and not competitive with the scale, cost of labor and environmental laxity of third world mines. So much for buy local and certainly we are exporting human exploitation and pollution. As a graduate student eons ago, I teamed up with two counterparts in geological and industrial engineering to explore the extraction of gold from old gold tailings in the Humboldt Basin. We went so far as to have samples assayed but were discouraged by what hydrochloric acid, part of an on-site process, would do to the cattle grazing down below ... and we were no match for a range war. We did have fun camping and off roading though.

very cool guys. thanks!
Thanks for your comment, we are glad you enjoyed it.

Another great adventure so nicely documented.

Curious about those tailings. Any green hue from oxidation? The trajectories of ore prices and extraction technology sometimes makes old mines and tailings feasible to extract metals though I would expect that these mines and tailings are so comparatively small and not competitive with the scale, cost of labor and environmental laxity of third world mines. So much for buy local and certainly we are exporting human exploitation and pollution. As a graduate student eons ago, I teamed up with two counterparts in geological and industrial engineering to explore the extraction of gold from old gold tailings in the Humboldt Basin. We went so far as to have samples assayed but were discouraged by what hydrochloric acid, part of an on-site process, would do to the cattle grazing down below ... and we were no match for a range war. We did have fun camping and off roading though.

We didn't really notice the color of the tailing that much to tell you the truth. I believe these mine were shutdown in the late 1880's, I read somewhere they were briefly reopened in 1902 (don't hold me to it), but then shut down again. They are on private land with an easement that opens them to the public.