Abraham- after the storm - 10/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamFarmer

Reaction score
Saturday-Oct 16, 2010, Abraham, after the storm.

After driving up from Eden, NY, Friday night was tough finding my way around a new area (Bristol, Lincoln, Middlebury) , in the rain storm and after dark. I got a room (Blue Spruce-Middlebury-$80) and headed in to town for a couple beers at Two Brothers Tavern ($5 a glass for “Long Trail Ale”). I already drove to the Trailhead in Lincoln Gap where the Long Trail crosses the road.
I "shot the bull" with a local guy and then realized a baseball game was coming on TV and figured I'd better find my way back to my room. A coyote darted in front of me along the way.
I picked up a sub, chips, and a quart of beer. The evening looked real good for this simple guy. Then I got back to my room and got changed and all set to munch, and realized the cable was OUT-ugh.
So , I ate and hit the sack early.
By daylight Saturday, I was raring to go.
I was thinking I’d do Abraham and Ellen and still have plenty of daylight. The weatherman said 50 degrees and passing showers. I knew there would be wet snow, but figured it wouldn’t be very deep, and it would melt as the day wore on. The snowshoes stayed in the trunk. I carried 2 changes of clothes for the top, and 1 for the bottom, my stove, a tarp, 3 quarts of water and lots to eat. I was determined to stay comfortable. Foul weather is nice when you are prepared.
I puttered towards Lincoln Gap stopping for coffee, gas, coffee again. No hurry, lots of time.
The Lincoln Gap Road, was very slushy towards the top and I kept my speed up to make it up the steep parts. There was one other car at the trailhead, covered in snow.
I loaded up my gear, in a light windy rain, and got on the trail. There was little snow.
As I gained elevation, the rain turned to snow, and the trail snow got deeper and deeper.
Neighboring tree limbs were weighted down with snow, some blocking the way. I continually tapped the low hanging branches with my poles to loosen the snow and allow them to rise, granting me dry passage. At The Battell shelter (.8 miles from the summit), it was full blown winter with a foot of snow on the picnic table. I was waiting for the snow to stop and the warmth of the day to “kick-in”. I began to have doubts about getting to Mt Ellen.
After a drink and a snack, I proceeded towards the summit. It was a tough .8 miles.
There was enough snow that I had no idea what my foot would come down on so finding footing was very slow. Certain places collected heavy snow, and the steep slabs were just ridiculous.
I was working way harder than I wanted and soaked with sweat.
Before I reached the top, I knew there would be no Mt Ellen. The wind was howling and the snow continued. There was nothing to see. After I hit the summit, I ventured a short distance towards Ellen, and turned around and headed down, eager for my dry clothes, coffee and a smoke.
It took about an hour and a half to climb the .8 to the summit and about 20 minutes to get back.
Back at the shelter, there were 2 fellows who had planned to go to Mt Ellen that day. They were carrying full loads because they were camping that night and intended to be out for 6 days.
I told them how bad it was and said I’d wait at the shelter for an hour if they wanted to come back down, and I would give them a ride anywhere. I did wait, but they didn’t return.
On the way down the winter scenery and snow diminished to slush and rain and it was good to be done. It was 3PM so I just drove back home. Another great trip, in my book.