Adams via Lowes Path 7/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

The forecast said showers early but clearing as the morning progressed. Not wishing to subject any of my usual hiking partners to more foul weather I decided to go it alone. This would be yet another attempt at Adams. I had been turned around a couple of time previously by bad weather or over optimistic route planning. Would today be any different?

I usually like to hit the trails as early as possible to maximize available daylight and avoid the crowds. This time however I aimed to start later because of the predicted clearing of the showers. Instead of leaving home at 3am I got to sleep in a little more and left at 5:30am. It was pouring with rain.

The rain persisted for a good few miles of my trek north on I91 but as the sky lightened the rain lessened and the clouds started to break up. The nearer I got to the mountains the better things looked. Just before it reaches Rte 2 Rte 115 offers a great view of the northern Presidentials. I could see mountains... mostly! The tops were in the clouds and a few light wisps were scudding across the lower slopes, but things looked very promising. For one thing - it wasn't raining!

I pulled into Lowes store and parked in the hiker lot next to an old DeSoto bearing a For Sale sign. When I paid my dollar parking fee the lady in the store said the DeSoto belonged to a hiker who was long overdue...

I was geared up and on the road, the trail head is a little ways back up Rte 2, a little before 8:30 in brilliant sunshine. There was blue sky and a few clouds skimming the tops, looked like I was going to get lucky!

The last time I went up Lowes path was back in January when conditions were quite different! It was interesting to discover what lay beneath all the snow. The main thing that struck me was the trail work. On many trails one often wishes "If only there was a rock just here." On Lowes path there always seems to be one in the right place. The bog bridges and stepping stones help one over the squishy sections and the stonework on some of the steeper parts provide almost stair like assistance. Some of the stonework is monumental in its execution and must have taken some kind of effort to achieve. Despite all this the trail does not look out of place and years of weathering have blended it into the landscape.

While the trail starts out very forgivingly it does get quite steep from a little way below the Log Cabin all the way up to The Quay. There is one large, very steep and always wet slabby section below the cabin that requires a little extra caution. Although somewhat foreboding I think it was actually easier in winter when crampons provided secure footing all the way up. The wet rock and slick roots required a little more decision making. Both in winter and on this trip however, the descent seemed to be much less troublesome, go figure.

I had planned to take a break at the log cabin but arrived there to find a large group of twenty-somethings preparing for the day having stayed overnight. After a brief chat I pressed on and took a break a little further up the trail. As I stood there munching I noticed a lot of mist drifting by, then realized that I was actually generating it all! With the temp hovering around 60 and all the effort I had worked up quite a steam factory.

Revitalized by my munchies and the break I pushed on up what would turn out to be the steepest section of the whole trip until I finally arrived at The Quay. It had taken me a little over three hours to get to The Quay. My winter ascent had taken me four and a half hours! Even given the longer breaks taken on the previous trek I think I must be improving a little.

I could no longer ignore the fact that nature was calling and was thankful for the facilities at Grey Knob. The atmosphere inside the outhouse was something to be experienced but after the first few seconds of sensory overload it didn't seem so bad. I killed one mosquito on entering but discovered later that I had managed to get a bite on the butt.

I took another gorp and glug break in the cabin and chatted a while with Matt the caretaker. He said things had been fairly quiet with the number of guests ebbing and flowing. I thanked him for his hospitality and left him to enjoy his lunch in peace.

After the short cut from the cabin to Lowes Path a little above The Quay I surveyed the route ahead. The clouds had thickened somewhat and were racing across the ridge. What would be would be - I started up on what would be new territory for me. In January I had decided against going on and had turned back at this point.

The trail lead up through the scrub and out into the open. Although rocky it was much less of a rock-hop than were the lower approaches to Jefferson. Cairns marked the way ahead. As I made my way up and over the many false summits, for which I was prepared, the clouds sporadically thickened and then retreated. On occasion there were blue skies ahead. I hoped this trend would continue.

I noticed the trail was profuse with small white flowers. I also noticed they were not present off the trail in the natural scrubby grass. This struck me as interesting. The many footfalls were responsible not only for the erosion of the natural groundcover but also provided ideal conditions for these flowers. Nature adapts.

After several false summits I arrived at the summit of Adams 4. It really deserves a better name than that! Given that it is sure to be on some list or other that I might go after in the future I took a summit self-portrait. I also took in the fantastic, although fleeting, views. While Jefferson refused to come out of the clouds Adams obliged to show me the task ahead.

After dropping down the short, steep back side of Adams 4 I made my way up towards Thunderstorm Junction, hoping it would not live up to its name. Off to the left I could see the white topped cairns of the Spur Trail as it converged towards the Thunderstorm.

At the junction I met up with a Southbound AT hiker. He had been on the trail for about a month and was hoping to make Washington summit before the post office closed as there would be a provision drop waiting for him there. Shortly after we left on our separate ways the summit of Washington appeared from the clouds and we both stopped to take pictures. I took snaps at every opportunity in case the clouds rolled in for good.

The final slog up to the summit of Adams was the typical Northern Presidential rock-hop but at least the rocks were dry and the footing was good. I arrived at the summit to find quite a crowd in residence including one group cooking up some treat. Sure smelled good to me!

I took summit pics and some of the views as good as they were. Madison refused to come out of the clouds and just as I was about to take a snap of Washington summit floating above the clouds it disappeared not to reappear during my stay. The views into the many gulfs were astounding and even though they obscured the views the dynamics of the clouds were interesting to watch.

Having taken pictures I settled down and was tucking into some more gorp when a group of hikers arrived. One of the women said to me "I know you! You are HikerBob, we met on the Kinsmen a few weeks ago." She had seen my posting for that trip on one of the boards and checked out my trip report and pictures on the web and recognized Karen and me.

Many hikers came and left as I lounged at the summit. For a while it seemed I had a new career as summit photographer as I obliged a few folk by taking their summit pics. I hope they all come out OK.

The clouds seemed to have come to stay and I had lounged long enough. It was around 3pm and time to leave so I bade my farewells to the remaining summit folk and started down. With nice dry rocks I made good time down. Hopping from rock to rock and following the cairns. I considered going down by way of the Spur Trail to take in the views into King Ravine, a look at Chandlers Falls and then back to Lowes by the King Ravine trail. With the uncertain visibility I opted to retrace my steps going over known terrain and to save that trip for another day.

I got some nice views of Jefferson and the Castellated ridge from below Adams 4 and could imagine the views that were denied me from my trip up that way a few weeks previously. Might just have to go back again soon on a clear day.

The trek down went well and even the steeps were not so bad. The afternoon sun had dried out some of the slab although the parts that had some running water needed some caution. I ticked off the landmark trail junctions as a measure of my progress and the increase in traffic noise form Rte 2 heralded my return to civilization. I arrived back at the car around 6:30pm. A ten mile, ten hour hike, including stops, nailing my benchmark 1mph trip average.

Looking back at the summits they were now clear of cloud but on this day I had stayed dry (from precipitation at least!) and had some magnificent views. Those views I missed are just one more reason to return to such a wonderful place. I will be back.

(Pics up this evening perhaps)

Bob

Another nice report, Bob. Glad you were able to get to the top this time.

I passed through there earlier this week and had the same thought regarding those flowers growing only in the middle of the trail. Just below that spot we came across two grad students up there for a class in alpine flora. They said that usually that species only grows on disturbed ground, hence, its abundance on the trail. I think they called it mountain sandwort but I could be wrong on that – it was just one of the many plants they pointed out.

Great that the mountain was kind and allowed you to summit that day!! As always, an interesting report and great photos.

I hope your luck is running my way... I've also been turned back twice by weather and wind on Adams both times in October. I figure an August trip to Jeff and Adams will improve my odds...

Hikerbob,

I had planned to do Adams solo yesterday too. Glad you made it. I took one look at the cloud base, then watched Mt. Washington dissapear into the clouds and moved on and did Mt. Willey instead, which I had missed last year due to weather.

Tony

I'll never be able to get up in the morning! Takes longer to do the pictures than it does to hike the hike sometimes!

You can find the pics starting here

Bob

Glad everyone likes the pics.

Sticks - I'll be heading out to Isolation trying not to slow Poison Ivy down too much :) She has posted an invite under Trips & Events.

Here's hoping for no storms!
Bob