Adirondack Cell Phone Service Extended

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keene supervisor William Ferebee says Verizon will lease two existing tall structures for cell towers.

I like that they're doing this instead of putting in new towers.

I recently noticed a barn silo up in VT that has cell antennas discreetly placed all around the top. This is a much better way to bring cell service to rural or isolated areas than replacing hilltops with steel towers.

MichaelJ said:
I like that they're doing this instead of putting in new towers.

I recently noticed a barn silo up in VT that has cell antennas discreetly placed all around the top. This is a much better way to bring cell service to rural or isolated areas than replacing hilltops with steel towers.

I completely agree. A friend that works for Verizon recently told me that a lot of the new antenna installations over the last few years have been increasingly the stealth type and there is a push to use existing structures as much as possible. I've heard many complaints from folks who do not like the fake "pine tree" cell towers, but the dozen or so around here that I have seen really blend in well with the surrounding woods. Only one of them, alone and all by itself without the benefit of other trees to camoflauge itself, is somewhat an eyesore, but still better than a traditional tower.

I live in a very rural area in northwestern NJ near the Appalachian Trail. Several years ago, Verizon, ATT, (and other cell phone companies as well) began using barn silos, existing towers, (and even an old unused flagpole on a dairy farm that the state bought as part of the Green Acres program) for installing new antennas for better coverage in our hilly, rural area. We now get cell service nearly everywhere on this side of the Kittatinny Ridge without the ugliness of huge towers splattered all across the landscape.