Adirondack Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikenlar

Reaction score
HI, I will be hiking the Adirondacks and am not very familiar, I would like to get some of the "46ers". My companion is not a fast hiker but will go along, any suggestions, for peaks (routes) with good views preferably 9 miles or less (scrambling ok) that will allow me to "bag" a few and get us out before dark.
Thanks, Lar

Porter and Cascade would be a nice intro. They are relatively easy and if you go from The Garden trailhead you hit Little Porter which offers a special set of views. The hike from that side would be about 9.6 miles and 3500' of elevation gain. Whatever you choose, have fun!

I love to introduce new hikers to the Adirondack 46er peaks with Algonquin and Wright. 9 miles, a little scrambling up the bare rock and great, unforgetable views. Highly recommended.

Giant & Rocky Ridge, steep but short on the mileage. Also Phelps and/or Tabletop.

I would have said the above suggestions too. I hiked Algonquin and Wright on my first trip to the ADK's. Also did Cascade and Porter on that trip too.

Have a blast!

-Shayne

All the above are great....also think about Big Slide via the Garden parking area and the "Brothers" and out via the Johns Brook trail. Great views as you climb and from the summit. Get a map (Adk Mountain Club or the Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated series). Enjoy.....

Pat

re:

either of these peaks - Algonquin or Wright - include ladders or other dog-unfriendly obstacles?

We just got a 70# Alaskan Malamute from the shelter and I have to yet to tire the pooch out...a weekend in the ADK should do it, I hope.

Dogs are to be kept on leashes - shouldn't be a problem. I don't know of any ladders on Wright or Algonquin and certainly nothing a fair to mid-sized dog can't get over or around. Great doggie hike too!