ADK canoeing advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
I am a Catskill hiker, so I could use some help on this topic. A friend is putting together a 3 day canoe/camp trip for later this summer. I am going along and am trying to assist. He has a guide book on the ADK lakes and has narrowed it down to Cranbury Lake, or Lake Lily. Any input and or other alternatives would be appreciated.

We are looking to tour, see some variable terrain (not just open water if possible), nice camp sites, and maybe even hike potentials. Obviously, the more remote and lightly trafficed the better. I understand that Cranbury allows motor boats, any input on the volume of use would be appreciated. Oh, and we are ideally looking at an out-and-back trip, so we can be self sufficient. Thanks! ;)

ADK Canoeing

Did you mean Lake Lila?

Cranbury Lake is huge, mostly developed, and has motor boats. If you want to be in that area, I've done the Osswigachee River. Paddle up stream from just west of Cranbury Lake. There's a waterfalls about 8 - 10 miles up. You can portgage around that and keep going. Many campsites along the way.

Lake Lila, Little Tupper are both south of the above. Great lakes to paddle, no motors allowed. Both have some island camping. Set up a base camp and explore.

Check out the St Regis canoe area. Many small lakes in there and the entire area is motorless. You'll be portgaging from lake to lake and get a real feel for canoeing in the ADK.

Many, many other areas, get the "ADK Canoe Map". Shows all the lakes and portages. Available from St. Regis Outfitters in Saranac Lake.

keb -

Starting from Old Forge you can go up through the Chain of Lakes (8 lakes) up to Forked Lake to Raquette to Long Lake and you could go as far as Flower Lake in Saranac or Tupper Lake but not in three days. As far as your stamina and time allows. Portages, but nothing too major.

VTskier is correct, the St. Regis area is great too!

Lake Lila is very isolated but you won't be going from there to another Lake. Island camping and a hike up Mt Fredrica if you want. Not enough for touring if you have three full days. We went all the way around it in a day.

It's great to be talking about canoeing!

Ed

Several years ago we did a 3-day canoe trip similar to the one you are planning except it wasn't an out-and-back trip. I don't have any maps with me now, but I believe we started at a lake off of Floodwood Rd. We camped on this lake the first night. The next day we then paddled to the other side, did a short portage to another lake (can't remember the names) and ended up in Hoel Pond. There we camped for night #2. The third day we portaged south out of Hoel Pond to another lake and then eventually to our cars.

On another trip, we started in Middle Saranac. We paddled out to a point on the northern shore where we camped in a shelter. It was a real cool spot, and we spent the afternoon exploring Tic and Toc Islands. The next day, we came around Umbrella Point and into the channel that connects Middle Saranac Lake to Lower Saranac Lake. There are locks there to lower the boats to the next level, and we actually got to use them. It was awesome. Once in Lower Saranac Lake, we paddled through the Narrows and camped on Martin Island. On the third day, we paddled through the channel (another set of locks!) that goes to Lake Oseetah (I think that's the name) and then finally back to Flower Lake in the town of Saranac Lake where we had rented the boats from.

Just some ideas.
VTskier offers great advice with getting the ADK Canoe Map.
Have fun!

Rob

As you provided a qualifier that the trip needs to be “out and back” I would suggest the Bog River to Lows Lake. Only one carry, at the upper dam. A nice mix of slow moving river and lake paddling. There are designated campsites on the river and scattered around the lake. There is a discussion about this trip here that you might find helpful: http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=wtrip&tid=199993
If you have the ability to shuttle a car, continuing over to the Oswegatchie is a very enjoyable 2-3 day trip of about 40 miles.
NYDEC has a brochure titled “Cranberry Lake Region” that has these routes as well as all the campsites.