ADK Great Range Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
I decided to give it a shot for a Great Range traverse on Sunday 9-5-10. I am in as good of physical condition as I have been since I was a younger man, so this 53 year old went for it as a solo trek, even with the crappy weather conditions in the morning and the forecast for showers all day.

I left from the Garden at 5:55 am and headed straight for Marcy via the Phelps trail. Intermittent moderate showers doused me and trying to stay dry was pointless. At Slant Rock under cover, I changed into a dry pullover under the rain jacker and put on rainpants and knit hat and gloves as the temperatures were in the 40s. The wind was blowing down low, so it was anticipated that they would be howling above. At the VanH/Phelps trail junction I met Julia the Summit Steward supervisor who was devotedly on the job. I was throughly soaked by now because of plowing through the tight trails sided by balsam. Julia told me that the summit temp was 40 with winds in the 40s. Once above treeline, the winds was driving a rain shower directly into me and it was a fight to the summit. On my way back down, I passed a group of eight college-aged folks in their shorts and cotton hoodies going for the summit, drenched and cold. I told them how bad it was above but they just gave me that look. :(

After Marcy, I decided that maybe I would get Haystack and then abort since I was wet and slightly chilled and that the weather had gotten the best of ruining my plans. At Little Haystack, the winds were the worst encountered - I could lean 20 degrees into the wind and still stand - 50+ mph. At Haystack, there was even a period of stinging ice pellets. Ok, I am done, I will head back over to Phelps and out. Somehow, I missed the trail down to Phelps and after descending for 200 feet or so, I realized I was looking directly at Basin and missed my turn-off! Simultaneously, the clouds blew out and the sun appeared! Ok, lets get Basin and Saddleback and then I can bail out on Ore Bed Brook trail.

Fortunately, the showers were done for the day and the winds quickly dried the rock faces to come on Basin and Saddleback. This is more like rock scrambling than hiking and it is rugged territory. But the views were awesome and I became more inspired to go on. Plus despite being soaked, I never stopped moving so I never really got cold. I refilled my water below Basin and only drank 4 liters all day. My knees were starting to feel it.

Once I got to the Saddleback-Gothics col, I knew I had to continue. The steep ascent with cable assistance up Gothics, a quick hike over to Armstrong, some more rock scrambling to UWJ and down to the LWJ col. At this point, my knees were aching and I decided to forego LWJ and head out to the Garden via the Southside trail. BTW, Southside is a pleasant trail.

Summary, the weather cooperated later and allowed me to finish. My physical stamina was good all day but I was disappointed that my knees let me down and slowed me down at the end. But I can claim that I did it!

Elapsed hiking times: to Marcy 4:35, Haystack, 6:18, Basin 7:53, Saddleback 8:48, Gothics 9:43, Armstrong 10:11, UWJ 10:48, end at Garden 13:20. About 22.5 miles, and 9,000 or so vertical. Check that gotta do hike off the list.

Congrats, we tried the same route early in July but aborted due to extreme heat.

It was a beautiful day Sunday, must have been a wonderful hike. You are a pretty good hiker for a kid.

I am in as good of physical condition as I have been since I was a younger man, so this 53 year old went for it as a solo trek....

My physical stamina was good all day but I was disappointed that my knees let me down and slowed me down at the end. But I can claim that I did it!

Not bad for an old, decrepit college linebacker!!!