adk guide books

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea level mike

Reaction score
hi all

im interested in picking up some cheap adk guide books on half, but they were printed in 93-97. are these worth anything now, or will i just be getting myself into troubling trying to use them

thanks

mike baffaro

sea level mike said:
hi all

im interested in picking up some cheap adk guide books on half, but they were printed in 93-97. are these worth anything now, or will i just be getting myself into troubling trying to use them

thanks

mike baffaro
You can't go wrong with any of the "Discover the xxx Adirondacks" by Barbara McMartin and others, where xxx= Northwest, Central, High Peaks, etc. There are 10 of them, all with detailed descriptions of hudreds of trails and places to go. Lots of historical quips too.. Most recently Bill Ingersoll has taken over the series, since Barbara passed away this past year. Look on Amazon or in any of the local outdoor shops for the selection.

those are the guide i'm perusing, i was just wondering if the older...and much cheaper versions are worth buying

thanks

mike baffaro

sea level mike said:
those are the guide i'm perusing, i was just wondering if the older...and much cheaper versions are worth buying

thanks

mike baffaro
Yes, of course the older versions are still valuable. Bill is updating them one at a time. The "old" trails for the most part do not change, with the notable exception of areas hit hard by the microburst of 1995 - which is coming on his list of updates. The other few changes to be aware of are of any newer cut trails and junctions. Unless you pay attention to navigation you could posibly get confused. But in my opinion there's no excuse for not paying attention to map and compass even as you follow a well marked trail. Always know where you are and a new junction trail just becomes part of the adventure.

So, go ahead, get those older version books in the series. Barbara has presented the trail and locality descriptions in such an interesting way with bits of history and other local features that you can't go wrong.