ADK High Peaks Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_hilgeman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am heading out for a High Peaks traverse, arriving at the trail head on the evening of Friday, Jan 13 and back to the car by the afternoon of Monday, Jan. 16th. As of now, I am going solo, but it would, of course, be nice to get a group together.
I haven't plotted out a route yet, and would like to discuss and decide that with whoever might join.
If anyone is interested in just meeting up for one leg of the journey, that would be great too!

Objectives?

John,
It might help to list some of the peaks you would like to attempt. There are plenty of good-hearted folks here who would love discuss and or suggest possible routes. What are your objectives and how much experience do you have in the high peaks in winter? Are you going to base camp, or carry all your gear with you?

Thanks for the advice Brad - If anyone out there wants to share thier experience with me on this trip, I would welcome the discussion. I personally have no experience in the ADK region but I have experience mountaineering in general. I'll post my "climbing resume" below so interested people can get an idea of where I'm at on the experience scale.

I plan to go into the region via the trailhead at the ADK Loj. As always, the rest of the plan depends on conditions, but I would tentatively hit Wright, Algonquin, Boundary, and Iroquois summits the first day - camp at Lake Colden (or possibly Avalanche Lake). Day 2, head for Marcy and Haystack, possibly Skylight - camp near Little Haystack. Day 3, a comfortable walk out.

Whole trip is planned on snowshoes, but can ski in if anyone is willing.

Below is a list of peaks I have completed in the past 4 years. Not included are the numerous through hikes, forgettable summits and turn-arounds (I play it safe with weather and avalanche potential).

Alta Mountain – WA - 6240’ - summer
Mount Curtis Gilbert – WA - 8201’ - spring
“The Tooth” – WA - 5604’ - spring (technical)
Ingalls Peak – WA – 7662’ – summer (technical)
Prussik Peak – WA – 8040’ – summer (technical)
Mount Si (8+) – WA – 4167’ – 4 seasons
Mt. Rainier – WA – 14,410’ – summer
Mt. Adams (2) – WA – 12,281’ – summer
Mt. St. Helens – WA – 8364’ - winter
Dragontail Peak – WA – 8840’ – spring
Little Annapurna – WA – 8440’ – summer
Enchantment Peaks – WA – 8520’ – summer
Granite Mountain (2) – WA – 5629’ - winter
Mount Monadnock – NH – 3165’ – summer
Cannon Mountain – NH – 4100’ - winter
Cardigan Mountain – NH – 3165’ - winter
Mount Madison (solo) – NH – 5367’ - winter
Mount Moosilauke – NH – 4802’ - winter
Mount Lafayette – NH – 5260’ - winter
Mount Adams (solo) – NH – 5771’ - winter
Jennings Peak – NH – 3240’ - winter
Mount Washington – NH – 6288’ - winter
Mt. Katahdin, Baxter to Pamola – ME – 5267’ - summer
Pamola Peak via Pamola IV – ME – 4919’ - summer (technical)
Mt. Fuji – Japan – 12,388’ - summer
Mt. Daibosatsurei – Japan – 6748’ - winter

Hey John,

If it weren't for my plans for the Gathering 8.5 that same weekend, I would definitely be interested in joining you for at least part of your great traverse.

I'll be looking forward to your trip report!

CM