ADK on Feb. 12th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trail from the Adams turnoff towards Allen looked well travelled yesterday. Also, the register indicated that a group of 3 were doing Allen. Anyway, even off-trail in unbroken snow we only sunk in an inch or two. It was snowing hard as we drove out from Tahawus but I don't think it lasted long.

shin murnane said:
Neil

Thanks for the update on the trail, that is very encouraging news.
Then why the thumb down ??? ;)

Anyway I'll be there for sure as I'm going to sleep nearby. I'll be sending you a private message as of how to reach me. I heard the herd path was difficult to follow at some point. I hope the group of yesterday made it to the top so we can follow their tracks (I've never been there) :D

I guess crampons are a must but what about the ice ax, can we do without it ?

Looking forward to freeze to death tonight at -10F :eek:

Allen on 11th Feb.

Hi Shin & Jean!
Since I didn't get any committment for Basin & Saddleback tomorrow and since I am getting tired of hiking solo, I have decided to join your group tomorrow and postpone my other peak objectives for later on in the month.
I'll sleep in my car at the trail head and met you at 06H00-06h30.
Sunday, I will likely do Marshall.
To the pleasure of meeting you,
Pierre

Last year the herd trail was easy to follow right up until the end of private land (yellow margerine container lids for markers). They suddenly stop when you get to state land. When we went in Jan. '05 there was no trail at all and by the time we realized that we had run out of markers we were "lost" in the open forest. We wandered around bushwhacking towards the summit but ran out of time and ended up going back a second time.

Jean & Pierre

I pushed the wrong bottom on the thumbs down??????? See you @ the trailhead, if we are lucky the group from yesterday made the summit & left us a nice trail to follow in.

Shin

Neil said:
Last year the herd trail was easy to follow right up until the end of private land (yellow margerine container lids for markers). They suddenly stop when you get to state land. When we went in Jan. '05 there was no trail at all and by the time we realized that we had run out of markers we were "lost" in the open forest. We wandered around bushwhacking towards the summit but ran out of time and ended up going back a second time.
That makes me wonder. Did any of you guys has a GPS or a compass (talking to Oncoman & shin murnane) ? Oncoman since you are from longueuil and that I'm from Chambly, we can go find the trailhead together ? Let me know.

Sunday plan?

Hi gang.

Motabobo did You stop your plan for Sunday?

Interests for Marshall or Seymour?

Usualy You do not need your ice axe for Allen.

Very easy to catch and stay in the path after Allen Brook, just a bearing for a short time if You loose the path after the trail marker in the path.

Good locke.

Pinpin Junior.

Hi again Jean
Ref. travelling together. Have received your private message. Will call you this afternoon.
Have done Allen previously in Sept. 2004 and have map & compass, but unlikely to have to use them.
Pierre

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Motabobo did You stop your plan for Sunday?
Unfortunately I made other plans for Saturday night so I'm heading back to Quebec. I needed an update by thursday. Sooner the better for me, I always plan in advance ;)
I lost a chance to hike with a legend :( I hope to have another one soon enough.
That means I won't be able to do Marshall as well, sorry Pierre.
See ya on trail !

Some pictures posted on my website
Congratulations and thanks to Oncoman and shin murnane.

Last edited:
Very nice pictures! When I crossed Lake Jimmy on Thursday (02-09) I broke through the ice and completely soaked my left leg from hip to toe. Maybe you saw the frozen over hole I made?

Neil yes we all saw your little swimming hole. Jean great pictures, I think I took the same ones. It took me just over 11 hours & it was nice to see Pierre waiting for me @ the trailhead. We chatted for awhile & realized that we were both scheduled to do the Santanoni's in 2 weeks w/ the big group that Tom Rankin has put together. I headed back to Syracuse. One glass of wine w/ my wife & I was out like a light. Long day from Syracuse to Allen & back to Syracuse. See you in the mountains.

Shin

Thanks for the lovely pix Jean. Check out my trail report. Wanted to submit sooner but last night I was too tired after a long hard day at work.
Pierre.

Last edited: