adk overnight conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadpoint

Reaction score
i'm heading up to the ADK this upcoming weekend for a little trip and the mountainfest and i'm trying to get a feel of the overnight conditions around AV camp or lake? when i was up there this time last year if was like -15+ during the day but weather.com is saying lows in the single digits.

i guess what i'm really trying to say is do i really need to bring the -25 sleeping bag or will the 10 + a VBL suffice. i'm sleep warm sleeper and i don't mind suffering a little.

deadpoint said:
i'm heading up to the ADK this upcoming weekend for a little trip and the mountainfest and i'm trying to get a feel of the overnight conditions around AV camp or lake? when i was up there this time last year if was like -15+ during the day but weather.com is saying lows in the single digits.

i guess what i'm really trying to say is do i really need to bring the -25 sleeping bag or will the 10 + a VBL suffice. i'm sleep warm sleeper and i don't mind suffering a little.

This winter has been mild thus far with lower than average snowfall. Today was only the second time all winter the conditions were favorable for snow shoes, and I probably could have bare-booted just the same (barely 8 inches).

Lows this past weekend (I was near Whiteface camping Friday and Saturday nights) were around 10-20F. VERY mild considering it can be that many degrees below zero this time of year. My zero degree with a bivy was overkill, but I was warm just the same. Bring the bag, decide when you hike in which to bring. Forecasts are usually okay, but (for example) we were expecting an inch of snow Saturday and end up with 4. Temps can also drop fast with sudden clearing skies and any snow pack. Better be safe than sorry is my rule of thumb.

next weekend

We are going up next weekend for Mountainfest also. Beginner Ice on Sunday(if there is any - ice that is). We are going up early Friday to camp that nite and hike on Saturday. Then we have a room at the Cascade Inn for Saturday nite so we can dry and watch the football games.

Curently they are expecting lows in the single digits and highs in the teens with some precip Friday. What to bring camping is a good question. i find it easier to shed layers/vent a sleeping bag then i do to shiver in my bag. I usually go with the heavier bag unless i am hiking a long way to make camp.

I am also curious what others would recommend.