Adks and Tug Hill 11/25-11/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedan

Reaction score
A few observations from around the Adks and Tug Hill, not hiking specific as I am a skier and as long as there are a few inches on the ground, I'm on skis, primarily BC although I do use a few trails to access BC skiing but thought people might like a snow report.

A week of fantastic skiing in the Adks and Tug Hill. Of course Sunday night's rain/snow/ice beat the snowpack down but at least the Tug Hill and W. Adks should pick up from a few inches to a foot today. In the Adks, the snowpack was a little boney for BC thrashing but skiable, once in the open on a slide there was close to 2' of unconsolidated powder. Avy conditions were evaluated and pit profile showed no layers of concern and the unconsolidated powder was sitting on a 1" bed of slushy ice. Booting, even with crampons would be difficult as snow was so loose with just a slippery verglass to point into. Skinning was the easiest and most efficient way to go. Fat skis and a little speed keep bases off granite. A few pics from the a gorillas in the mist day in the Adks.
SS037.jpg

SS036.jpg

The Tug Hill was up to over 3' with deep powder prior to Sunday night. All the woods locked up and skiable.
PB300119-1.jpg

11-29-08SR031-1.jpg

Nice lake effect today with a few inches in the W. Adks expected and up to a foot on the Tug Hill. My experience is that if there are a few inches in the valleys along the road in the Adks, there will be much more up high. Snowing hard on the Tug Hill with the snowstake back up to 2'. The W. Adks have anywhere from 6-12" on the ground and also snowing with accumulations of a few inches expected.

I figure I post observations on the snowpack here through trip reports every now and then if the hiking community doesn't mind a little ski content.

OMG look at all of that white gold! I'm not a skier, but a big snow hiker/snowshoe-person. I love these pics! Nice to see how much snow is falling in the lake belts!!

grouseking

I'm not a skiier, but I always love the skiing pics/reports/videos! Great stuff, especially the backcountry stuff you crazies do, makes me wish I was a skiier. So feel free to post away and keep us updated!

Admit it Dan, you were just looking for another forum to brag. :)

Love the shots. I was at Gore on Friday/Saturday and things were actually quite good.

Admit it Dan, you were just looking for another forum to brag. :)

Love the shots. I was at Gore on Friday/Saturday and things were actually quite good.

:p Got me Dave. Hi Brenda. Yes some previously posted pictures but thought this forum might have a few interested in snow observations. Have to admit I've been looking for a forum where good information and pictures don't get lost in more blah, blah, blah than you can shake a misery stick at ;)

Gore must have been pretty good Saturday and Sunday, almost was there Sunday but chose a closer option.

Thanks again for vouching for me Dave.

Dan

Freedan, where on the tug where you?? I'm on the west side by RT 81, almost 5 ft near montague INN, sportsman Inn...I love this area when we get Lake Effect...Its great snowmobiling too...Welcome

Thanks, skiing one of the ravines over near snow ridge.