Advice on Pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
I have an EMS summit 3000 that is not big enough for 2 or 3 day trips, I guess its more for day hikes. So, i was thinking of getting a larger pack, specifically the lowe alpine netherworld 90. Should I sell my small pack or keep it for shorter journeys? Does anyone here have any opinions on the netherworld 90?

Thanks for all the help.

If you are interested in the EMS summit 3000 (orange) please email me.

I keep my old EMS 3000 Panel Loader for when I am traveling now, as it fits into an aiplane overhead bin, is easy to throw on my back and carries clothes and such for 3-4 days.

It also comes in handy for winter daytrips when 2400 CI just doesn't cut it. Also, I do use the 3000 panel loader for ultralight overnight backpack trips sometimes.

I sold my other EMS 3000, Top Loader as I found really didn't need it for anything else, especially with the panel loader.

As for the NetherWorld, I can't help you, but I have had my Lowe Contour IV for 8 years now with easily over a thousand trail miles on it and it is still a great pack for what I paid...

Last edited:
Does that have 3000 cubic inches of space? If so, you don't need a bigger bag, you need some smaller stuff. That's my two cents. If you want to keep your load light (which 90% of us try to do) invest the money on an ultralight sleeping bag, or a bivy, etc. Then you'll have enough room for 2 or 3 days. Just my opinion, but I think it's a good one.

I have an older EMS 2800TL & I've been able to use it for 3-4 day trips on the N-LP trail (summer) ... it actually holds quite a bit for a smaller bag. Unfortunately the waist belt isn't as supportive as I'd like it to be and so I'm going to be looking at buying a Gregory Z-pack to replace it. And my EMS pack isn't hydration compatible, altho I believe its replacements (3000) are. :D

I recently acquired a Gregory Whitney which I am really liking. I do still keep my old packs and use them (especially the externals) when they're " the right tool for the application". I just checked and I still have a plastic framed external Peak 1 from the early 80's and an aluminum framed pack from the mid 70's(with requisite ecology theme). I need to find a 12 step for gearheads apparently.

ex-Cumberlandite Swampyankee

My opinion is you NEVER have enough gear, especially packs. There will be a trip when that pack is perfect, and if not, you can use it to store your other gear seasonaly. I also use my spare packs as loaners for folks I take out on their first trip or others I cajole into keeping me company. A good pack lasts a long time.
Just this past weekend, while hiking with Warren, a grommet ripped out of the shoulder strap on my daypack, making it semi-useless. A quick field fix held good for the rest of the day though. As I remarked to Warren while I was fixing it, "Can you imagine this grommet ripping out? Why, I've only had this pack for 26 years."
To be fair, I've got a lot of miles on that little Sierra Designs pack on several continents. I bought it at EMS, USED, around 1976-78.
Maybe I should see if I still have the receipt?
Tom
BTW, I just got a Whitney also and I do like it, but I'm still having trouble adjusting the load for all day comfort. My last trip my shoulders hurt for 2 days. I know thats me, and I'll find the secret eventually.

I have an EMS 2500 pack, it's my pack of choice for long dayhikes, and carrying books, and as carry-on luggage (although it's so old and faded, my wife is embarassed by it.)

My first pack was a classic aluminum external frame with red-white-and blue stars and stripes all over the rucksack. I paid $12 for it when i was 12 years old, and it was old when I got it. (I'm nearly 29...)

I have used my brother's EMS 3500 pack for longer overnights, but the suspension is a little short for my 6'1" frame. I don't like how heavy it is either, but I do like all the compression straps and zippers and removable thingies all over it. (All of which contributes to the weight.)

My favorite pack is my GVP G-4. It weighs around a pound, the suspension is great for loads under 30#, and Glen VanPeski had a few for $45. (They were closeouts.) It has 3 large mesh pockets around the back, I use 1 for my hydration bladder, and the others for whatever I need to get to quickly. I could really talk all day about how great this pack is, but just check out the website and the testamonials. GVP Gear

TomEske said:
"Can you imagine this grommet ripping out? Why, I've only had this pack for 26 years."
To be fair, I've got a lot of miles on that little Sierra Designs pack on several continents. I bought it at EMS, USED, around 1976-78.

You must be especially hard on grommets (or maybe the original owner didn't break it in per the manual.) :) Mine never failed at the grommets; it just disappeared after a mere 27 years. Best daypack I've ever had.

FWIW: In answer to the original question, the Lowe Alpine series is terrific, generally. Extremely comfortable in many situations, if the fit is right, and extremely durable. If it fits you and fits your need, you're bound to be pleased.

kjbjette said:
If you are interested in the EMS summit 3000 (orange) please email me.

What? Are you trying to sell me something made by a consumer-whore's third-world slaves and pushed like heroin in their evil chain store where they undersell virtuous and soulful mom & pop shops? ;-)

should you keep the old pack

I have a Kelty internal frame pack of about the same capacity, which I bought in 1975 & used for overnight trips. I wanted more space, esp for winter, & next bought a second-hand Lowe, which I liked & used for several years, but then couldn't resist a big Eureka on sale for a small price, which is now my winter overnight pack. The old Kelty still comes out as a winter day pack & is a good size & fit for skiing. It would make more sense to keep the old EMS if you're generally happy with it, than to sell it used and buy a day pack new. Unless you're a slave to fashion & not on a budget.