Algonquin-Iroquois 9-26-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
ALGONQUIN/IROQUOIS
9-26-09​

This was the start of the 6th annual hospital hike my buddy Robert puts on. This year there was a huge turn-out. I was excited because it had been since February we had hiked together. The time had come and about 15 people had signed up.
Woke up at Dads around 5am and drove to Natural Bridge to meet the group and hitch a ride. My plan was to eat at the diner and have coffee. Well they are not open that early anymore. So I waited. They where to leave Watertown around 5:30am which I expected to be like 6ish since I’d done this before. They finally arrived around 6:30am. Was great to be headed to the Peaks Again as we talked all the way about anything that came to mind. A couple of students where in the back but soon we lost them to the sandman. After a few stops we arrived really later than should have for parking which we had to park at south meadows and walk back up to the TH. We had split into two groups. One going to Mt. Marcy with group leader zippy and our group to Algonquin and down thru avalanche pass back to HPIC.
This was the first time since I started I’d been this way as Wright was my first. Our group was all gelling and moving well together. Before I knew it we had reached the waterfalls. This we all to a nice break and for people who had not seen it a time to enjoy the beauty. Not much water was flowing over the falls today. Soon we are back and striding at good to better pace. It soon slowed. All this time I was remembering our first trip here I enjoyed with my cousin and her friend. (RaeAnne and Ruthie) Just out of the blue we had reached the turn for Wright. WOW!! Seemed like no time to get here. By now the sun is shinning bright off Wright Peak thru the trees and loads of people are decending and passing us on there way up. By far the most people ever I’ve seen in one day on any trail. Great bluebird skies and peak leaves has brought them here today in droves.
As we ascend my mind is working out the ideas of how I am going to get to Iroquois and stay with the group as I’m thinking not all will want to go that extra mile for unlimited views today. This trail is awesome flat rock with good traction when dry, which it was. Soon we had started seeing ice that had not melted from overnight which was in the upper 20s’. Frozen moss beds and summit grasses where beautiful. Finally after 3.5Hrs. We are here. The winds and 50degree temps greet us and others there. Prime out of the wind spots are sparse. Pictures, food and endless views are our prize. Finally I have gotten a top 5 view without clouds and fog. Soon the time had come as out journey takes us down to Lake Colden and out Av. Pass, except for me and Robert, who head for boundary and Iroquois for my 40th peak together.
Right from the start of the herd path it was like old times. Me and him just banging thru the trail talking, laughing and poking fun. This trail was not dry like it was on the way to Algonquin. The muddy mess thru tight shoulder width trees left us hoping our way there. I had read before I left that Algonquin Bob was going to up here today. I had a look out all the way from the start. We came upon the biggest Bog/mud spot and 3 men where descending the rock into it. Two making there way thru and one still on the rock. I look up and spot him, HEY, is that Algonquin bob to them? Yup, it is..We made it thru the mud before he got there and introduced ourselves. The other men I think he said just got there first peak, great job men. A few quick words and we both off. Robert Soon asks, how did you pick him out that far away..? Lucky for me Bob had just put a close up on his avatar and I just kept that image. Great to have met You Bob. So up and over Boundary and then it was a nice challenge on the rock climbs up to Iroquois. Roberts Favorite climbing. Soon #40 was in the books. The winds where even more powerful here it seemed than on Algonquin. Few great pics of the Wallface, flowed lands,Lake Colden. It was quick as we needed to catch our group and meet at the end of Avalanche Lake so we spent 5-10 minutes tops and scrambled back to the trail headed down to Lake Colden.
This trail seemed to go on forever. It was a nice trail to start with flat rock then turned to broken rocks there after. A few cool slides where in view on the way down and nice swimming holes in the brook. Soon the trail became forest Floor , we must be close to the bottom. After a break for water it was last time we stopped till we saw people, our group just getting there. This is where the rest of the story begins.
The group had split from Paul and Renee which where in the back from the start of descending Algonquin. Well Renee had tweaked her knee and made it to Av. Lake just as we got there. I must say, from the time we left the pass till back at the truck she never complained although I could tell of the pain she was experiencing. A real Trooper that keep on plugging as in her words where, “ I’m not going to sleep out here with the bears”!! So the Pass was just beautiful in the evening although it was clouded up and winds picking up. Those rock faces are just awesome. I was point out the debris from the slides along with the poles left for rescue. Night was coming fast and we had a long way to go. It was 5 when we left the pass and did get to flatter ground before nightfall. Robert carried many headlamps to share with Renee and Paul. It was really a great time on the trail with them 3 in the dark. The conversation still flowed and moral was high even though the injury.
Just as we arrived at Marcy Dam, we ran into our other group back from there High Peak Adventure to Marcy. After some talk we returned to HPIC and they where parked at South Meadows but at the TH. One foot in front of another we arrived at HPIC at 9pm. WOW what a day. Another great adventure and new friends to share it. Sorry for Renees’ knee and hope it just needs rest. 40/46 peaks, Damn I’m close… My thoughts of the day split me from waiting till next year to finish or push on this year. I’m torn as timing may not allow all the great people I would want be there to come this year. As I have reminded myself many times of late, its time to enjoy them. Just like Teejay says, What, Me Hurry… Only the next few weeks will tell of my desire to choose my path.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/574840623ISaNYi?vhost=outdoors

Sounds like a great day with good friends! Isn't it gorgeous down there along Avalanche Lake?

...and who's the clown with the hat in your avatar?:D