Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright Sat. Jan. 22nd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Looking for one or more partners for a one day trip up Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright on saturday the 22nd of January.Departure time: 06:30 hrs at the ADK lodge.

DAMN! If you said Jan 29th I'd be game.

I have prior obligations to be in the White Mountains the weekend of Jan 22.

Have a good hike though...

-Dr. Wu

Laurie and I, and maybe a few others are looking at Algonquin and Iroquois on the 22 nd. It depends on the winds of course. Last year we got very high winds near the top of Algonquin and did just Wright. Our backup plan is Colden. Send me a note next week if your interested.

Hike on Sat. 1/22

We are planning to stay in Lake Placid Fri nite, hope to hike Saturday. Wright, Algonquin and Iroqouis sound good to me if you're looking for a partner. Do you plan to return over the same path or down to Lake Colden and through Avalanche Pass. I understand this route is steep but avoids having to return over Algonquin. Not having done it I don't know if it would be more difficult in the winter than the typical route. If anyone has any input who has done this hike both ways, especially in winter, please chime in.

Looking at the distances it probably is not worth the extra 2-3 miles returning thru Avalanche pass as the last part will probably be done in the dark. I still would like to know if anyone has done the trail down to Lake Colden from Alg/Iroquois in the winter and hear their perspective. I assume Lake Colden and Avalanche Lakes must be frozen pretty solid now with this cold weather and would make these parts easier than the Hitch-up Matildas in the summer.

Last edited:
I've done the trail down to Lake Colden 3 times including once last January during the Gathering. We did Algonquin/Iroquois then the trip out through Avalanche Pass. The descent is steep(but fun) and I wore crampons down it and the rest of the crew snowshoed. The trip has nice views, during good weather, but if you are just peakbagging it is a lot shorter and easier to go back over Algonquin. It's a long way around the other way with a lot of flat walking. Once you are back on Algonquin's summit it's all downhill. The only thing is if the weather turns bad it could be treacherous going back up Algonquin. This is a great area. Good luck on the weather and have fun :) .

Thanks Jim,
Sounds like a more interesting trip out via Av. pass but time will be the deciding factor. The long slog back past the Av. camps will probably dissuade me unless I get to the summit of Iroquois really early. I hate to think of myself as "just peakbagging" - I do like to make it more interesting by doing loops, as opposed to out and backs by the same route (where feasible). I haven't been through Av. pass since Floyd and the most recent slides, so that would be cool too. I'm glad to know that the trail down to the lake is a reasonable option.

Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright 0n Sat. Jan. 22nd

skidoc22 said:
We are planning to stay in Lake Placid Fri nite, hope to hike Saturday. Wright, Algonquin and Iroqouis sound good to me if you're looking for a partner. Do you plan to return over the same path or down to Lake Colden and through Avalanche Pass. I understand this route is steep but avoids having to return over Algonquin. Not having done it I don't know if it would be more difficult in the winter than the typical route. If anyone has any input who has done this hike both ways, especially in winter, please chime in.
Skidoc, Tim & Laurie and all you snow bears heading for Algonquin

I'll be at the parking lot around midnight and plan to sleep in my car. If OK with group, would like to trail out near 06:30. Could be quite an icy one, not much snow this year; so don't forget your crampons. Had planned to return over Algonquin, though looping via Avalanche Pass sounds interesting. However I wouldn't want to finish hike with headlamp and I promised my wife and children that I would be back to Montreal for 20:00 hrs. So unless we really scramble up Wright and Algonquin, I guess it will be an in and out by the same route for me. Crispy weather here in Montreal -25 C. in evening, -35 C. during night. Nonetheless plan to build Igloo in my back yard as soon as I have enough snow and sleep in with my boys.

Cannot wait to meeting you all.

Oncoman

I'm very interested in this hike. I need Iroquois for my 46, and I need all three of them for my Winter 46.

Do you mind if another person tags along?

-Shayne

Oncoman, Hillman1 and other VFTT's
I have a party of four going up from Albany in the morning. We won't be there 'till 8. Your welcome to join us then.

Starting to sound like quite a party at the McIntyres on Saturday. Hope we don't get blown off the mountains. With any luck we'll even get a VFTT.
Mike

spaddock said:
Tim,

Will you be going for Iroquois?

-Shayne

spaddock,
Yes, our plan is Algonquin and Iroquois. Turned around in high winds just before the top of Algonquin last day of winter ' 04, knowing it was futile to attempt Iroquois. We did Wright instead, crawled to the top in 60 + mph winds.
Winds for Sat look light. I'll still bring need full face coverage though. We can meet at info center if you're in. Tim

My friend who was going on her first winter hike backed out. I will be there around 7ish. I will definitely be there by 8. I want to get all the way to iroquois again. Is anybody planning on hiking wright also--I think spaddock is--I like that peak in winter. As long as the winds aren't too bad.

Sat. Jan. 22nd Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright party

Warm greetings to you all

Looks like we will be at least 10 to join the big party on top of Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright tomorrow. I would like to leave early, around 06:30 or as soon as Mike(Skidoc22) arrives. Hillman1 can either join us if he arrives before 7 or else join in Tim's party of 4 who plan to start around 8. Shayne(Spaddock) I gather will also be joining Tim's group. Mark and Kelly should also be on the trails sat. to cheer us up.

Pierre (Oncoman)

With shayne out, I am out for tomorrow. I am hiking allen sunday and might as well try to stay fresh. Hope everyone has fun, and tries to stay warm.