Allen 7/4/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Hiker

Reaction score
Signed into register at 6:30am. Met up with Five Heads and his son. Had a great day comparing notes on various hikes. River crossing was very cold in the morning crossing, but very refreshing on the way back. Very easy to get across and follow the temporary trail. Our feet got soaked from the dew on the meadow grass. The views from these areas were breathtaking. Too bad I was so tired on the way out to get some shots. The red slim was very slippery on the slide up from Allen brook. I managed to fall at least twice and bash a few things. With a little bit of searching there is great views of Marcy, Skylight, Haystack, Cliff, Redfield, Sewards, and Santanoni's. There was another father/daughter duo on the top. It seemed a little strange to be way out on a remote mountain, where you had to wait in line to take your photo with the Allen summit sign. Made the steep decent with Five Heads and his son most of the way. They were great hiking partners, always trying to lighten the mood when we were so tired. So glad that we had the pleasure of meeting up with them.

Difficult hike due to the length, but a very managable day hike. Glad to have this one off the list.

Stephanie

Viewseeker,

We're planning to do Marshall this weekend. Our plan is to do one every weekend this summer. These mountains might kick butt some times, but what a way to get in shape:)

true dat'...yvon just finished marshall if you need any info. Even though we get kicked we keep coming back....its all worth it for the views and the people we meet out there. hike strong

ADK Hiker,

Thanks again for sharing the trail with my son and I. You were great company on a memorable hike. You weren't alone in falling on the red slime. It got me as well. :(

Five Head,

Yeah I know. It was about five minutes after you went down, that I did. Those hurts will last awhile for me. It will always be something I remember about Allen.

Thank you for sharing the hike with us as well. And for the little extra help across skylight brook. Glad we met you. Hopefully we can hike again together sometime:)