Allen Aug. 18th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKatie

Reaction score
For the Dubois clan's 44th ADK high peak (we're synchronized AT LAST) we're doing Allen next Wednesday the 18th of August.

I've appreciated all of your trip reports on Allen and feedback when I asked you all to "talk turkey about Allen to me" and I'm happy to NOT be as apprehensive about this one as I had been. Thanks, everyone!

And this will be my first trip back out after the Dix range broken hand drama of July 24, so I'm hoping my hiking party and Allen will be kind to me....

Tim and Katie, I saw your post on Spence's Gathering site, with the invite. I'm doing Allen next week for #46. The day will depend on the weather, because I want to do Couch first, and Allen on the second day. I want to bring my son to do Allen with me. So if the timings right, I'll let you know a couple of days before, and we can make a day of it. Hope for dry weather, firm trails, and strong legs.

Good luck to you all on Allen. Except for any VFTT'rs that hike with you, you'll likely be the only folks on the mountain that day. It will be quite different from your 46th peak when you all finish Labor Day weekend on Whiteface!

Good Luck

Please be careful with that hand on the descent!!!!

Avoid the dark red algae on the rocks along and in Allen Brook, it is very slippery. We only had 1 fall with 4 hikers on the descent, I've read about many others.

KZ

Yikes, thanks KZ!

How long would you say this section with the dark red algae goes on?

I will be super careful, you can be sure of that. Now I'm praying that the hurricanes don't bring lots of rain to the area and make the flat sections on this trip into waterways, which will slow me down when I want to be marching steadily along.

Alpine is right - there are numerous sections of 10 -15 ft open slab alongside Allen Brook. You have no other option but to go up and down them. They are typically wet. The darker spots are the algae and they can be "slicker than whale snot". You can avoid them by being careful and alert. Fortunately you get a feel for these spots on the climb so you can avoid them on the descent.

On the other hand ( no pun intended), the worst that can happen is you fall on your tailbone which ususally is not a big deal unless you try to break your fall with an already broken hand. That's why I mentioned it.

I'm sure you will be very careful after your last experience.

Right. Gotcha. Will do.

I got the "cast" off today and stitches out, no more cast! My doctor entrusted me to be a good girl and be super careful, which you can bet I will be. I have a hard plastic custom-made splint now which I always wear except in the shower. It protects that bone from re-damaging it, so as long as I'm wearing that, I'm good!!!

Clap clap clap, so proud of my healing so far!

Allen, here I come!

Our group did Allen on Weds, 8/11 and it was WET. With all the subsequent rain, you can bet on a wet, wet day. On the trip in you get wet from all the tall grass and early morning dew. Any where on the trail prone to mud will be very muddy. If you have gaitors, bring them. I would also suggest a walking stick or ski pole. 2 of our group fell a couple of times. Just bruised egos but it can happen to anyone. the slabs are slick - sometimes the spot where the water runs the hardest is the most firm. I've seen hand holds give and whole sides of trail slide down the rocks. Have a good first aid kit with you for scrapes and cuts.
Wasn't that encouraging?
We actually ahd as good a day on Allen as possible. The weather was great and the views were superb. Be sure to take the side trail to the left of the sign for great views from Haystack all the way to Macomb and south.
The trail is easy to follow with all of the climbing at the end. Good luck! Let us know how you do.