Allen Mountain 02/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Participants: Rik, Hillman, Neil, Eric, Jenny and Dominic

This was Jenny’s first winter peak and her first time ever on snowshoes or crampons. She was awesome! It was my first time hiking with Rik and Eric who turned out to be super guys. Man, do those guys fly!

If you’re thinking of hiking Allen, now is the time to go. I can’t imagine it being any easier than it was yesterday. The first 5 miles or so on the official trail were on frozen snow in the cool morning and barebooting was the order of the day. Just after the turnoff, at the gravel pit we put on our sowshoes but could have waited a lot longer. The herd trail was easy to follow thanks to a group of 10 who had been in a day or 2 before us.

For me, the route to Allen gets interesting at Allen brook making the approach the longest I’ve done so far. (I suppose Seymour from the winter parking lot would be right up there.)

As we motored our way to Allen Brook we were slapping ourselves on the back for what great time we were making but I couldn’t help wondering how I would feel going back over the same trail later on. At least I was well prepped: I had 2 full rest days in me after hiking Marshall and having eaten loads of carbs the day before I was only short on sleep. Additionally, I made myself eat and drink steadily all day long.

The trail up Allen Brook was no where near as “bad” as I was expecting and I’m sure that was because of the perfect snow conditions. No need for crampons, in fact I only used my Northern Lite snowshoes all the way up. To boot, we had a perfectly sunny calm day so at rest stops on the slide we basked in the sun in our t-shirts and marvelled at the ever expanding panorama of peaks. It seemed like there was something new to see with every vertical foot we ascended.

Allen offers views of the Dixes, Colvin, Nippletop, Skylite, Marcy etc. from a rather unique angle and we spent a lot of time determining which peak was which before reluctantly packing up and heading down.

Butt sliding down the upper portion of Allen brook was lots of fun. After you break out of the trees you have a long straight shot down some steep terrain. Rik and Eric were standing in the middle at the bottom of the steepest section as I began my descent and when they very quickly got the heck out of there I knew something was up. I shot over a lip of bare ice, got some air, landed on some more ice and then hit the soft stuff and stopped. Invigorating!

I quickly got my camera out and took pictures of the others as they came down a less dramatic but nonetheless rapid line of descent. Lots of big, sunshiney smiles and laughter all around.

The trip out was long. Very, very long. That 1 mile section from Skylight brook to the top of a height of land went on forever. One consolation was the beautiful sunset that silhouetted the mountains and the trees and then later on the stars on a moonless night. However, on the way out from Allen once the headlamps come on and all you can see are your partners’ little halos of light and the trail in front of you there’s no way around it: it’s a death march.

Great trip! Had a blast on a near perfect day. Also want to add that we saw two Pine Martens. One along the way and one at the summit.

Isn't it great to have Allen done?

Neil,

Contratulations on summiting Allen! I went up Seward yesterday, and my hike, too, was a death march (got back to the parking lot after 11:00 p.m.).

Still hoping we can get together for MacComb, Carson & Grace!

Rick

Good job Neil & Company,

Glad you got to the top of it. Glad you had some views up there too! The long march home is always sweeter when you know you have one in the bag.

-Shayne

Neil,

Congrats on getting Allen done! It sounds like a long hike but an enjoyable trip all and all.

I know you had difficulty route finding on your first attempt and that remains my fear. I'm sure there is a good track now but will a couple inches of new snow pretty much obscure the path? I might take a whack at it as early as Friday depending on weather and schedule.

Any tips or pointers you could share about staying on course would be helpful. Thanks.

doug

My recommendation is to carry a GPS if your thinking the trail will be obliterated. Note that there is flagging that begins just after the home made yellow discs end (at the end of private land at the height of land). I don't know how we missed it. Another idea is to have compass bearings figured out from that height of land (roughly 1 mile west of Skylight brook) to Skylight brook and from there to Allen brook. Check out various websites for USGS maps with GPS tracklogs drawn over for more insurance.
Good luck! And don't forget to eat and drink all day long!
Here are my pictures from the hike.
http://www.neil.webcentre.ca/outdoor pursuits/index.html

Great photos Neil. Fun to see someone else's. The butt slide ones are great!

I'm looking at all those photos of people in t-shirts thinking that was so not our Blake & Colvin trip.

This winters weather fluctuations have been wild!

-Shayne

Neil,

Thanks for the tips. It looks doable if the yellow markers take me to the height of land. It looks like one could contour in a westerly direction to intercept Skylight Brook. I also know how time consuming it can be getting off the beaten track and I'm concerned about leaving a misleading, difficult path for others to follow.

Depending on the amount of snow we get I might chicken out again and select something less demanding. Thanks again for your help and sharing your pictures with us.

doug

spaddock said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, how did your new Rhino work out on the trail?

-Shayne
It worked perfectly. I downloaded Andrew Lavignes's tracklog then selected 8 or 9 key WP's. The unit uses a serial port and on my computer this was not functionning (is now) so I made (my teenage son) Dominic enter all the WP's manually. When I checked his results I saw that he had the software program and the GPS set to different datums (The northing discrepancies were 250 meters)so I made him erase everything and start all over again! Do you think he'll make that mistake again?
I never lost signal and the thing beeped (right in my ear) just as we were approaching each WP. The elevation was dead-on accurate too.
It was on for about ten hours (2 or 3 hours would have sufficed but hey! its a new toy, I mean tool) and it sucked the juice right out of three brand new energizers.

Neil said:
It worked perfectly. 2 or 3 hours would have sufficed but hey! its a new toy, I mean tool) and it sucked the juice right out of three brand new energizers.

Good stuff. My Geko sucks juice too, but hey batteries are cheap. When I first got mine i kept it on all the time now i don't, especially in the cold.

It is a fun toy/tool I like it on solo hikes, gives me something to pay attention to, plus I love all the stats.

I have the GPS Utility software that Andrew uses to load in all this 30,000 points per trip.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
I have the GPS Utility software that Andrew uses to load in all this 30,000 points per trip.

-Shayne
What software is that?

Neil said:
What software is that?

It's called "GPS Utility" it comes out of the UK. The guy has the freeware version available. I believe Andrew has a link to it on his site or you could google it and it should come up.

-Shayne

Nice pictures Neil, looks like you had a awesome day.

Could you, or anyone else, comment on the prospects of skiing the flats and then switching to snowshoes for the ascent to Allen. Seems that some time can be saved with the right conditions.

Thanks for your input.

skis worked well

bridgeman said:
skiing the flats and then switching to snowshoes for the ascent to Allen. Seems that some time can be saved with the right conditions.
You're right, skiing is a time saver, not to mention it breaks up the trip. We just did this trip last Saturday with new snow and it was great. We skied in until we hit the turn off of the officially marked trail. The trail winds on and off of old logging Roads and makes for great skiing. At the turn off, the trail gets a little more windy, but it's still not too bad. From the "unofficially" marked trail you can follow coffee can lids and flagging until you get across Skylight Brook. From there, the herdpath is pretty well defined, just keep an eye out for broken branches through the pines.

With some new snow this week, the trail might be covered again, but it's still a good day hike.

Mark